• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coolant Leak After Intake Gasket Change?

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey I just finished installing a new intake manifold gasket. Everything seemed to go together well. After my first long drive in traffic I checked under the hood and I see coolant pooled on top of the intake manifold. The water outlet fitting seems dry as well as the coolant hoses connected to it. Is there anywhere else this coolant could be coming from?

Ranger Intake Manifold Coolant 1.jpg

Ranger Intake Manifold Coolant 2.jpg

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Snug all the clamps up and see if it goes away. Those worm clamps are bad about leaking. Not when the engine is cold, not when the engine is warm, but only when the engine is warming up. I have had that happen over and over. Once your hoses go through a couple of heat cycles, you can snug the clamps up and it should stop.

Those aggravating spring clamps the factory uses do not have this problem.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
lets back up, why did you need to replace the intake gasket? have you watched to see where it can be coming from while it is running? how much is coming out?

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Snug all the clamps up and see if it goes away. Those worm clamps are bad about leaking. Not when the engine is cold, not when the engine is warm, but only when the engine is warming up. I have had that happen over and over. Once your hoses go through a couple of heat cycles, you can snug the clamps up and it should stop.

Those aggravating spring clamps the factory uses do not have this problem.
I’ll try this. It makes sense as I’m betting I was too cautious on these old hoses.

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
lets back up, why did you need to replace the intake gasket? have you watched to see where it can be coming from while it is running? how much is coming out?
I had an oil leak out the front and rear of the manifold. I replaced the gasket and added RTV to stop it.
With the engine at operating temperature I’ve inspected under the hood and revved the engine and can not see any obvious leaks.The coolant in the radiator is still full.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
ok, just wanted to ask if you had the leak there before you changed gaskets. i will guess you have it tightened to spec. i would just clean up the coolant, and keep an eye on it and see if stops on its own. as said above, the clamp could be loose.

up date in a couple days, i am curious.

cheers

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
I forgot to update. I did tighten the hoses and the line to the heater core did seem a little loose. No more coolant leaks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals