• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

coolant leak after coolant leak…

Trump8MyKids

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
so i replaced my thermostat and now my truck decided that wasn’t enough and starting leaking from the water pump (just replaced) and now another one has come. this is on the passenger side by the front of the exhaust manifold. any help would be gladly appreciated. mainly just trying to figure out exactly what part this is because it doesn’t really look like it’s the timing cover and we have no idea what to order 😂. thanks guys

also leak is circled in white and exhaust manifold is the orange arrow

Attachments

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Head gasket. Hard to tell for sure with the pictures though

Deiimos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I know you say it doesn't look like it, but to me it looks like the timing cover area, though I'm no expert. The water pump bolts also hold the timing cover, so perhaps the gasket was disturbed slightly when replacing the pump and it just couldn't seal properly again, especially if it was getting close to leaking anyway. Maybe I'm just thinking out loud.

Very similar to where mine leaked. Could be something else I suppose, perhaps clean it off, then run it to see if you can see where it is coming out at.

Attached are pics of where it was leaking in my 2001 3.0, similar area at the very least.

Attachments

Trump8MyKids

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
okay thank you guys i’ll replace the timing cover gasket let’s hope this fixes it

Deiimos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Might want to swap the crank / balancer seal while the cover is off, or at the very least inspect the harmonic balancer for wear (can get a repair sleeve and oversized seal for it if so, or just replace both items with new). My balancer was slightly grooved and I installed a repair sleeve / oversized seal set to make sure it didn’t leak, I didn’t want to pull that crap off again for a seal! My balancer otherwise looked like it was still functioning properly, a little rusty but working, so I opted for the cheaper sleeve route.

Perhaps useless info, but something to keep in mind while the timing cover / balancer is off as that is the time to do it.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the timing cover mates to the oil pan, prepare for the snowballing effect.

mc17eln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There are 10 big and 5 small bolts for the timing cover and water pump. Seven of those bigger bolts are securing two parallel surfaces with both oil and coolant channels -- in my opinion a bad design.

Follow the Ford Workshop Manual to the letters, then go back to torque the bolts again for 3 to 4 more rounds. I found that totally necessary, because when you tighten one bolt to 18 lb-ft, the silicon sealant and the two gaskets give way, making the previous bolt(s) less than 18 lb-ft.

From Engine Install section:

31. Apply thread sealant with PTFE on the bolts to be installed in the locations shown.

32. Install the 10 bolts. Tighten to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft).

From Coolant Pump - 3.0L Install section:

1. Position the coolant pump and loosely install the 10 bolts and 2 stud bolts.
  • Tighten bolts 1-7 in the sequence shown to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft).
  • Tighten bolts 8-12 in the sequence shown to 10 Nm (89 lb-in).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals