• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coolant Issues

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So I have been chasing my tail for a few months now trying to figure out where all my coolant goes from my Bronco II. I have found and fixed a few leaks, but it was still disappearing. It would always stop loosing it right at the level of the bottom of the heads, and the recovery tank was always empty. Never took more than one full temp cycle to do it, and it always passed a head gasket test.

About 2 months ago I trimmed the ends of the hose between the overflow and the recovery bottle and put clamps on both, because I'd started to notice some drips under it on the first trip after filling the radiator.

Next time I checked the coolant was low, but the bottle was full. So I was picking the bottle up and letting it all flow back into the rad.

Today was finally nice out, and I was able to get to some things that have been getting put off because fawk winter. I stopped at Advance and grabbed a pressure tester and pumper her up. I have a 13 lb cap on it, so I went to 15 for the test. As soon as I hit 15 PSI coolant bubbles and air started blowing out around the radiator end of the upper hose. I tried to tighten it up, and it wouldn't. So I took it off, and the band side of the worm was stripped right there. Replaced the clamp, pumped it back up, and it only lost about 1/2 lb in the next 45 minutes, which is pretty good for those coned universal pressure adapters. No other hisses or leaks were found, and no drips on the ground when I moved it.

The lesson here is, don't forget the new clamps.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have started using the high-end clamps with bolts rather than the worm gear ones.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have started using the high-end clamps with bolts rather than the worm gear ones.

View attachment 25780
Those ones are nice. I put another worm clamp on it because last year Advance switched brands on a lot of their bulk hardware stuff and I cleaned out the local store from their CARQUEST ones. I bought about 500 hose clamps ranging from1/4 inch up to 4-inch for about $12 after discontinued pricing, employee discounts, speed perks coupons and rebate gift cards that I had.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I've used worm drive clamps for decades with good results, I wouldn't abandon them just because one stripped out. Those high tech ones are nice but they're a lot more money for the same result as a good worm clamp. Being a Yankee doesn't just mean you're from the north, it means you hate to spend money unless you're getting something valuable for it.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
The problem with the worm style, is that people put too much torque on them and it digs into/ruins the end of the hose. I like the OEM ones from ford that just squeeze it down. If you can get to them with pliers and do the funny little squeeze and wiggle dance, where you squeeze the clamp open, then wiggle it back an inch or so.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The problem with the worm style, is that people put too much torque on them and it digs into/ruins the end of the hose.
This is what happened to mine. I know that clamp was reused because I bought no new parts for that engine when I put it in. At some point someone, either the previous owner of the engine, or myself, over torqued it and it ate the edges of the slots, so it wouldn't hold tightly or get any tighter right there.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If the Ford oem clamps you're talking about are Wittek clamps- the screw is on the side perpendicular to the hose- you can have them. In the 70's we had to reuse them on warranty jobs and they invariably came back leaking because they never would retighten evenly enough. After a while to avoid unhappy customers we'd just absorb the price of worm clamps. The OEM clamps with 2 parallel wires around the hose were better than Wittek clamps but you really had to be careful not to overtighten them or they'd cut into the hose.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Welp, its still leaking.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
And for everyone's information, the hose clamps from Harbor Freight are garbage. Not even worth the few bucks you pay for an assortment on sale with coupons.

I order hose clamps from McMaster-Carr periodically to keep a stock of decent quality clamps.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Over the years I've had more than one coolant hose continue to leak after a clamp problem, etc. It seemed like once they leaked for so long, they'd never seal no matter what style of clamp I used. A new hose fixed the problem.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Over the years I've had more than one coolant hose continue to leak after a clamp problem, etc. It seemed like once they leaked for so long, they'd never seal no matter what style of clamp I used. A new hose fixed the problem.
That's my next step. It's dripping from the corner under the recovery tank again, so I'm going to start by replacing that little hose.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
This is the easiest to operate. one tool one hand.?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Ranger radiators are well known to leak where the ends are clamped/crimped on to the core. Are you 100% sure it's not leaking from the side, really close to where the hose connection is, and it's running towards the hose connection?

I've had more than one radiator in my old 2.9 truck that leaked from the sides. I had a local radiator shop re-crimp the sides for me, but it never fixed the problem for more than a couple months at a time.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ranger radiators are well known to leak where the ends are clamped/crimped on to the core. Are you 100% sure it's not leaking from the side, really close to where the hose connection is, and it's running towards the hose connection?

I've had more than one radiator in my old 2.9 truck that leaked from the sides. I had a local radiator shop re-crimp the sides for me, but it never fixed the problem for more than a couple months at a time.
I'm really not sure. It got cold again and I don't feel like messing with it.

It has to go 10 miles before Saturday, in 4 2.5 mile trips. Saturday is gonna be 75 and sunny. I'll mess with it more this weekend.

I'm also starting to wonder if the pressure tester didn't show an issue because temperature plays a role in the leak.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Where my radiator/s were crimped together, they only leaked when hot. So you may be on to something there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals