• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cool tool

Observer

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys - I've recently come across this nifty device.

Its a drill reverser from around 1956 maybe later, before two way drills. It lets you control direction depending on which half you hold (planetary gears allowed to spin or not)

It slows the spin down enough to be used as a tapping head for a drill press too which is my plan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoCwplJuU_8

Pop. Mechanics ad:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=htgDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=versamatic+popular+mechanics&source=bl&ots=IYqUqqQ9Nb&sig=UK5dKVicYg86nrDfDaNg-ktQ4rk&hl=en#v=onepage&q=versamatic popular mechanics&f=false

It's disassembled to clean and examine it for reverse engineering purposes lol- problem is I cant get to the bottom section. :icon_welder:

Any idea how to get that gear ring out>?

It appears to be pressed in, the metal plate under it spins freely yet is solid to push on.. or maybe pull through the holes but it might bend it..

mk42gunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any idea how to get that gear ring out>?
Yes, but not without destroying the case. Sorry I couldn't resist.

The speed reduction was probably even more help than the reversing part. I can't think of any electric drill from the 1950's, that I have seen, that was variable speed.

Robert

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is it a press fit? if so, heat the outer shell quickly, but not too hot. the ring gear should fall out if heat is applied quickly and evenly

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My grandfather used to have a dozen of these in his vast tool collection. He was a boilermaker by trade. Wish I would have taken a few before most of his tools were stolen.

Off topic but it's fun to read those "career training" ads in the old magazines.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Don't break it while cleaning/studying it!

Observer

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I will be extra careful- good point about the expanding, but Id rather use cooling on the inner one as I don't want to warp it with heat if possible.. and the grip has plastic coating of some kind.

So many cool gadgets in those ads, makes you wonder how we went from all that to "sham-wow" on tv. A cloth. :icon_confused:

I should mention that I bought several beat up ones.. this is the worst one but still precious. Not that it would be hard to make a modern day one- its a fairly straightforward thing.

And I also got this:

New in box, going to be safe with me for a long time. Promise!

Found one more on ebay for you: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Versamatic-4100-Portable-Drill-Speed-Reducer-Attachment-Original-Box-/160881419339?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257547a44b#ht_2891wt_1027

If anyone wants to mess with one // Carefully that is. :icon_cheers:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
thats cool stuff.:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

Observer

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Thx!

Took it to a press today and used a bearing splitter to hold it while driving it through in the engaged position.. popped out no problem/

Looks like it engages the disk for one direction and the threads in the unit for the other direction- kewl.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Looking at the one on eBay it says on the package has Yankee style bit holder. Now I need to know the difference between Yankee style bit holder and Southern style bit holder? :icon_confused:

Anyhow that is a cool device. Might have to look into getting one.

Observer

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure it was widely known as it is everywhere in the vintage tools area.

"Yankee screwdriver" was a popular tool apparently- all it means is the drillbits have a notched end that drives them and a notch in the shaft for a ball bearing to hold it in place.

The shafts are round, not hex like almost all bits today- easier to manufacture I guess..

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNDM4/$(KGrHqZHJEsE916drFiOBPjHuOvc9w~~60_35.JPG

Since i'm not against using a modern drill to drive screws with I figure I can rig something up for tapping holes with this thing.

The end of the shaft has a thread on it under the black cap for a chuck attachment for drilling purposes- one I got does not have this but instead has a hex bit shaft so look for that cap on the end if that's what you need.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals