• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Converting my Manual Mazda M50D-R1 to an Automatic Transmission

tharpka28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi,

I've got a 1996 2WD 3.0L Ford Ranger with a Mazda M50D-R1 Transmission in it. The transmission itself is in great shape, but as of late I've been having problem after problem with my clutch assembly. First the slave cylinder went, then a week after having it fixed the clutch master cylinder went out as well. A week later the brand new clutch master cylinder is out again, and the mechanics say my four-year-old pressure plate with 15,000 miles is going as well. The mechanics that have serviced it all its life are so frustrated with it they're just about to refuse servicing it anymore. Long story short, I'm just wondering if it's worth it just to switch to an automatic transmission. If anyone knows which transmission to use (aftermarket or not, doesn't matter to me), and the best method to install it, I would very much appreciate hearing it. Also, if there's a better alternative to switching to an automatic I would love to hear that as well.

Thanks a ton in advance

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Find a better mechanic. the M5OD-R1 is a reliable transmission, and if they can't fix master/slave/throwout/pressure plate ONCE and have it last they are not qualified to work on it. You will spend thousands trying to convert to an automatic, if you are paying someone else to do the work.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I always replace BOTH the master and slave cylinders together if there is a failure in one or the other. This avoids the issue of particle contamination in one getting into the other and causing a repeat failure.

Also, I use nothing but Luk clutch replacement items (Luk was the OE manufacturer for Ford).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals