• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Converting Manual windows and mirrors to powered 96 ranger 2.3L

haizrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, and yes guys I'm back. Since my last post which was a while back, my starter went out and I'm having to put in a new radiator tomorrow. Oh and by the way guys I was able to change the cluster panel and get the check engine light working.

anyway, I hit a turkey about a month ago, and it took my drivers mirror clean off. I bought a powered mirror because it was cheap and with the manual mirror the turkey took off, the actual glass part of the manual mirror would move and get out of sync while going down the road.

and I know a powered mirror won't move. the only obstetrical in my way now is adjusting the thing to where I can see when I need too. I've been thinking for a while of converting my drivers door to powered since I'm handicapped in my left arm it's a pain to roll the window down/up or adjust the mirror for that matter. and I don't care about the passenger side at all.

I'm wondering what I would need to do to install a powered mirror and powered window. I really don't care if I have to run a switch and mount it else where in the truck for the (window). but I know the mirror is a different story because I'd need a joy stick to move the mirror up/down/left/right.

For the mirror I'd be ok with installing it and running it to something to control it temperately setting the mirror where it needs to be then disconnecting it.

any Ideas would be helpful. thanks guys.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Howdy and welcome back.

Sorry about the turkey...a few more months and it would have been dinner for Thanksgiving but if you've got a freezer...

Have you purchased anything for this swap yet? My suggestion would be to swap out the entire set of doors if you can find a set with what you want...may be cheaper to buy a whole truck and part it out once you get what you need.

Junkyards nearby or how did you plan on procuring the parts? I recall there was not anything really close to your area....been a while since I read your thread.

For starters though I'd get hold of the wiring diagrams to see if there was a different harness for those options...not likely but best to know before you start acquiring things.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Pull the hole door with hinges and be done with it. It will save you a lot of time and money.

haizrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I figured finding the entire door at a junk yard would be the best route. however, there's only 2 junkyards in my area which has no rangers at all. At the current time I need to figure out how to temporarily wire up the mirror to adjust it. I can wire a lead going to the battery, for the power, just need to figure out how to wire up some kind of joy stick up to it to move the mirror. I can worry about the window later. thank god for ac. the only source I have for parts is ebay and they are high on somethings.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Your also in the wrong section. A admin will move it to the correct area for more responses.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If you have a power mirror mounted, you can adjust it manually. Just push on the bottom/top and on either side as needed. It will move, and stay in place just as if you had moved it using juice.
The door would need a power regulator, and ground/power to the window motor inside the door panel. The switch would be a 'double flip', in that -/+ are flipped to the motor terminals to reverse direction. You might find a complete regulator on ebay, used or new, and then cannibalize switches from a boneyard. Give the switch power & ground, and it will send appropriate power to the regulator motor and move the glass. A panel from a Ranger would/should bolt up nice, you just need a power regulator assembly and power/ground fed to the switches.
Go give your mirror glass a shove, and it will likely bottom out in the direction you move it. You need a 'touch' to move it some after it gets moving without going all the way in one direction. It will likely stay in place better than the manual mirror. Mine, manual, moves as the wind blows, it seems, as I have to re-adjust regularly. Might try scrunching the 'ball' of the ball & socket joint using some pliers to make the surface rougher so it will stay in place better.
tom

haizrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks Tom, the reason I was wanting power the mirror was so I wouldn't break it, I'm the only one that drives the truck so a one time adjustment should be all that is needed. As for the window I would need to change the door out, unless theirs a way to convert the current door.

I was thinking of getting 2 toggle switch's one for up and one for down and mounting them around the radio location on the dash, because of my left arm. or do they make a toggle switch like the door switches that I can mount on the dash. I know I'd have to cut a hole but I'm fine with that.

lastly, guys the new radiator lowered my temps and gave me a little bit more hp. I'm guessing the hp is coming from where the truck isn't running hot.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals