• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Converting Hella 700ff's to HID

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I intend to do this conversion to my 700FF's. Can't wait, and thanks for the great write up. :icon_thumby:

Ram4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Transmission
Automatic
I literally just got done doing this conversion based on the article.

Several observations:

I ordered the HID kit from DDM Tuning exactly as the poster did. They weren't in stock and after a couple weeks I finally got a slightly smashed box from China (China Post) from a mister Wang Lee. Fortunately nothing was broken.

My lights are Hella 700FF's, just like the article.

The bases of the bulbs did not have the indexing positions like the ones in the article. I had to take a file to the bases to get them to fit. They also have two little nubs that will fit in the Hella 700 reflectors, but the bulbs are not centered in the reflector.

The light emitting part of the bulb DOES NOT line up where the original H3 bulbs did...they stick out at least 1/4" or more towards the front of the light.

The focus on the lights are horrible compared to the stock H3e bubls. It's not totally dark here yet, so will have to wait a couple hours before I can test them out to see what they look like.

I'm not sure I got the bulbs I ordered either. I ordered the 6000K bulbs, but they have a yellow tinted coating on them. I expected them to be clear.

Ram4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Transmission
Automatic
Well, dark came and I lit them up.

Terrible.

A huge star shaped black area in the middle and what light that does get out spreads out super wide.

It has a greenish color to it too.

Ram4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, further update...

Seems I did receive the wrong bulbs. I got 3200K H1's. Ugh. I can't send them back as they're glued into my housings and I also filed on them to get them to fit.

So much for the learning curve. Make sure you spend some time looking up bulb measurements and look at the bases of the bulbs...although many are similar there are differences and those differences are important.

Soooo, I started looking around for some 55w H3 HID bulbs in hopes that I can manage to pop the glued ones out without damaging my reflector housings (haven't tried that yet).

I did happen to find some at a place called Retro Solutions (http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/servlet/the-183/DIGITAL-HID-XENON-BULBS/Detail). Their 55w H3 HID bulbs actually have the thin metal base plate and the wire inputs look offset...possibly these might fit the Hella 700FF's just like stock halogen bulbs and use the factory clip to hold them in (see pic below). $51.99 for a pair of bulbs and they give a lifetime warranty on them.

I can find bulbs cheaper on other sites, DDM Tuning for example, but they want $20 to ship them. So, total price plus shipping seems to keep the bulbs somewhere around $40ish to $60ish depending on where you get them.

I know the DDM Tuning lights, ballasts, etc are from China. The Retro Solutions site shows a pic of the inside of a ballast and it says "Made in Germany".

I am going to order some of their bulbs and use them with my DDM Tuning Raptor ballasts.

I'll post later once I get the bulbs and after I try to remove the H1's currently glued into my housings.

Attachments

Ram4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Transmission
Automatic
Ok...

Bulbs removed easily from the reflectors without any damage.

The 5 minute epoxy is actually ever so slightly rubbery and not rock hard, so removal wasn't too difficult.

Just for curiosity sake I measured the base to the light emitting element of the original H3 bulb, made a spacer of wood and re-glued an H1 in place and tested. Much, much better. The light actually focuses as it should and it is quite bright, however these are the wrong bulbs. Not only are they H1's, they're 3000K temp bulbs...an ugly yellow and definitely not what I want. I just had to try it to see.

Now I will order proper H3 5000K bulbs and all will be well.

I do need to check the length of the wires from the back of the light to the ballast. I'm not sure they will reach from my light bar so the ballast can be cleanly mounted behind the front bumper.

Since I don't intend to use the H1's I'll experiment with lengthening the wires to see if they'll still operate properly.

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Very nice. I'm going to do this when I get some $$$.

Last edited:

Ram4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Transmission
Automatic
HA! I'm such a putz!

I bought some new 55W 5000K bulbs, glued them in and tested them. They lit up, but something didn't seem right. They just didn't seem bright enough.

I now completely understand my entire problem from the get go.

See, I was not the one who ordered the original kit. It was a Christmas present from my sister-in-law. I had put it on the list for the wife to get for me and she apparently told my sister-in-law. Well, on the list I explicitly stated that on the DDM Tuning site to select H3, 5000K and 55w. Apparently that didn't happen and I got the default, which is H1's, 3000K, 35W. That explains it all.

The new bulbs I got aren't bright because they're 55W bulbs being fed by 35W ballasts...D'OH!

I just ordered a complete new kit from DDM Tuning selecting the proper bulbs, wattage and color.

Now I just have to wait for the kit to get here so I will have 55W ballasts and wire it all up and I'll be good.

DDM's price is very cheap, $40 for a 55W kit, but they kill you on the shipping ($22.50) in my case. Still the cheapest option after looking at other offerings and sites just for two ballasts, even with the expensive shipping.

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
HA! I'm such a putz!

I bought some new 55W 5000K bulbs, glued them in and tested them. They lit up, but something didn't seem right. They just didn't seem bright enough.

See, I was not the one who ordered the original kit. It was a Christmas present from my sister-in-law. I had put it on the list for the wife to get for me and she apparently told my sister-in-law. Well, on the list I explicitly stated that on the DDM Tuning site to select H3, 5000K and 55w. Apparently that didn't happen and I got the default, which is H1's, 3000K, 35W. That explains it all.

The new bulbs I got aren't bright because they're 55W bulbs being fed by 35W ballasts...D'OH!

I just ordered a complete new kit from DDM Tuning selecting the proper bulbs, wattage and color.

Now I just have to wait for the kit to get here so I will have 55W ballasts and wire it all up and I'll be good.

DDM's price is very cheap, $40 for a 55W kit, but they kill you on the shipping ($22.50) in my case. Still the cheapest option after looking at other offerings and sites just for two ballasts, even with the expensive shipping.
Ya that sounds like a problem. Just curious, did you join here just for this thread lol?

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
HA! I'm such a putz!

Ya that sounds like a problem. Just curious, did you join here just for this thread lol?

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_confused: I didn't mean to post that twice.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Ok...

Bulbs removed easily from the reflectors without any damage.

The 5 minute epoxy is actually ever so slightly rubbery and not rock hard, so removal wasn't too difficult.

Just for curiosity sake I measured the base to the light emitting element of the original H3 bulb, made a spacer of wood and re-glued an H1 in place and tested. Much, much better. The light actually focuses as it should and it is quite bright, however these are the wrong bulbs. Not only are they H1's, they're 3000K temp bulbs...an ugly yellow and definitely not what I want. I just had to try it to see.

Now I will order proper H3 5000K bulbs and all will be well.

I do need to check the length of the wires from the back of the light to the ballast. I'm not sure they will reach from my light bar so the ballast can be cleanly mounted behind the front bumper.

Since I don't intend to use the H1's I'll experiment with lengthening the wires to see if they'll still operate properly.
Now I'm going to ask what are your intentions for the "Ugly Yellow 3000k H3" bulbs? that you are no longer using?

Why do I ask? because I already have a pair of ballasts and I'm looking at converting a pair of Hella 550 foglamps and I actually want yellow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals