• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Converting 2.9L Ranger to 7.3L?

Apocalypse3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm Brad from So Cal and I want to put a 7.3L Diesel in my 1990 Ranger. I know I would have to cut the frame, right? I want to pre-runner my truck, so I don't think it would look weird with a pooched-out front end because the fender flares would cover up the frames miss shapenness, lol. I want the 7.3 so I can put a 6-shooter in it and KILL ALL CORVETTES on the road. So, here are my questions, simplified...

1. Can I put a 7.3L in a '90 Ranger? And what would a mechanic charge me to install it? (ballpark estimate)

2. Am I better off just getting a supercharger or turbo for my 2.9L and living with it?

3. Any suggestions on other ways to get more power out of my 2.9?

All I've done to it so far is... new air filter and $125 exhaust system and I can get it going sideways no problem. I'm not sure, because I've always pulled out of the turn too early to tell, but I think she can actually do donuts! Or at least a full 360, she keeps picking up rotation speed as I turn. Next time I'm at school, I'll try it in the back parking lot and let you guys know if she can. So, it's not like I have no power. Lots of torque, no horses though, lol

Thanks for reading, hope to get a reply!

Last edited:

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yow!!!! a Powerstroke in a Ranger?????

Okay to answer #1: Wouldn't that be like trying to put 10 lbs of junk in a 5lbs bag? You're looking at an EASY $10-15,000 between finding a good engine and the craploads of custom fab work. It ain't goon be cheap. Plus, the weight penalty would be huge! If you've got the cajones to pull it off, I'd love to see it.

To #2: More than likely. Less custom fab and less weight.

To #3: Ditch thne 2.9 and drop in a 4.0 drivetrain.

BTW, welcom to TRS!!!

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
be easier to drop a corvette motor in...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
From what I've seen, a 7.3 would require a mighty big shoehorn to fit under a Ranger hood, they take up pretty much all of the space under the hood of a fullsize. Plus you're going to have a ridiculously huge motor in a Ranger...

IF you can find a shop willing to try it and figure you will just pay them to do the work, I would think that you would be looking at $10,000 plus. IMHO, it's just not worth it. Most people that do an engine swap usually do the work themselves.

If you're wanting a diesel Ranger, look into the cummins 4bt swap, it's the most commonly talked about modification and there is info out there on it.

If you just want something with more power, go to a 4.0L motor or a 302. Both can be done reasonably and will give you all the power you could want.

I would never turbo or supercharge a 2.9L. It's just not worth it. About the only way to squeeze some more go out of it without completely rebuilding the motor is to convert to a MAF (mass air flow) system and swap to a Scorpio intake (very hard to find). For what you'd spend tricking out a 2.9, you could put a 4.0L or 5.0L in it and have a better base to build on from the start.

Also, I heard a rumor that commiefornia didn't allow you to change from a stock motor and pass inspection.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have heard of it being done. One of the guys from my college auto program had gone through the Big-Rig diesel program here before that, he claimed one of the guys from that program had done it, but even with an SD front end it wouldn't steer for chit. It ended up being more of a novelty truck than anything that you could drive.

If you want easy, light, ridiculous power go get an EFI 302 and a blower and have fun. If you want a diesel go find a wrecked LCF truck and grab the 4.6L stroker out if that. It's essentially a 6.0 with two missing cylinders, but it didn't have those stupid TTY head bolts, the FICM isn't right on the valve cover cooking, and with ULSD requirements and the improvements to the unit itself the VGT vanes don't gum up like they used to if you get it moving and those were the big failure points of the 6.0.

Either of those should give you a plenty good power to weight ratio for a ranger.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
find a truck with a 7.3, cut the frame to length and put the ranger cab on it

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
find a truck with a 7.3, cut the frame to length and put the ranger cab on it
HA! That's actually a really good idea. There are a few guys on here who grabbed SD frames, fabbed up some mounts, and dropped their RBV bodies on it.

You may still have body clearance issues to deal with though.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
HA! That's actually a really good idea. There are a few guys on here who grabbed SD frames, fabbed up some mounts, and dropped their RBV bodies on it.

You may still have body clearance issues to deal with though.
nothing an insanely large not to mention un-safe body lift cant fix

Apocalypse3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I knew that the 7.3 liter and a 6-gun (800 ftlbs ish?) would be CRAAAAZY power. And I knew it would be very hard to do. I just wanted to see if it could be done and be worth the trouble. I mean, think about it... Sitting at a light in my drab green pre-runnered Ranger and a Queervette ZO6 pulls up next to me and I STOMP it! That would be so cool! I guess I'll just have to put in the 302 and make it beat normal Queervettes. About the engine swaping making it not meet smog requirements, I'm only going to mod my truck if it can get it into New Zealand. I'm going to move and take my truck (hopefully) if New Zealand will allow my truck in, then I'm going to trick it out. A few months back I was looking at 4.0L's and I could get one for $400-$600!

How much would it cost to put in a 4.0L and trans or 302 and trans in my truck? Thanks for the advice fellas.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well if already have a 2.9 the 4.0 should be plug and play.

302 isn't too much harder. If you have a 2wd it will almost drop in, if you have a 4x4 you need an special oil pan and a filter relocation kit. Then you splice an extra pair of injector plugs on the end of the injection harness and bingo, EFI 302 in your ranger.

I dunno about the 302 trans.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
If you wanted to spend the green, you can build a wicked 302...

If I can ever come up with the money and time to do it, I've already started picking out exactly what I'd like to do going that route... There is a block out on the market, aftermarket 302, made by World Products, called the Man-O-War block... IIRC it can be bored out to something insane like 415 ci. I wouldn't bore it all the way out, but I'd be thinking about maybe doing a small bore and stuff a stroker kit in it then maybe a supercharger on top and a small shot of NO2..... then stick it in a regular cab shortbox with a stepside bed. :tease:

I know, I have sick thoughts sometimes... :tease:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you wanted to spend the green, you can build a wicked 302...
I know a guy who built a 302 for his F-100. That engine is sick. He built it for towing, but it is still fast as all bawls. One day we were running side by side down I-81 on the way home from work, going about 70, I was running just about maxed in OD. He smashed it and started taking off and he was still in 3rd.

It also pings on any grade of fuel if the timing is below 22*

Apocalypse3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Can you guys show me how to give positive feedback? I tried to give all of you positive feedback but I think I gave negative. I hit the little snowflake thing that says "Add to so 'n so's reputaion" and I got a message saying I gave somebody negative feedback. Sorry if I gave you negative feedback, I'm new hear. Tell me how to give positive, and I'll be sure to do it!

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It should bring up a box with "I approve" already selected. At least you have 0 rep power right now, so you if you accidentally left a bad review it doesn't hurt their points any.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Can you guys show me how to give positive feedback? I tried to give all of you positive feedback but I think I gave negative. I hit the little snowflake thing that says "Add to so 'n so's reputaion" and I got a message saying I gave somebody negative feedback. Sorry if I gave you negative feedback, I'm new hear. Tell me how to give positive, and I'll be sure to do it!
You managed to zap me with negative... n00bs... that's twice now a n00b has done that to me, lol

To give feedback, you click on the lil scale looking thing on someone's post, then a lil box should pop up and give you two choices. It should automatically have positive feedback selected (there's a dark dot next to the words "I approve"). To leave negative reputation, you have to click the white circle next to the words "I disapprove" and leave a comment.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals