• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

convert an Explorer to a Ranger

xuout1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Will definitely want to use the ranger springs with the pads fliped on the explore 8.8.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
How do you plan on grafting two entirely different width frames together? Why not just put the explorer drivetrain in the non running ranger you already plan on buying. :dunno:

xuout1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Transmission
Automatic
The frames are the same until you get past the the front seats then the explore frame flares out and becomes a whole different animal. If I come across a 4x4 ranger then I will just transfer running gear over but most likely it will be a 2wd. The conversion to make a 2wd frame into a 4x4 frame is actually quite time consuming but I'm pretty sure I could splice a frame in one weekend if I have enough beer. I have a fully equipped 30 x 60 shop with car lift and every tool known to man. Or at least I like to tell myself that until I see something I have to have. HA!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well to me it seems alot like ordering a pizza with anchovies and olives and then picking all the olives off because they are gross, throwing the pizza out, making a hat from the box and eating a bowl of cheerios instead. But we all gotta dream.

xuout1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Your probably right. Going to just cut the top off behind the seats for now for a gangsta truck until I fine the perfect parts ranger. Who knows I might loose interest by then.

Last edited:

xuout1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Transmission
Automatic
The soon to be truck.I replaced the destroyed radius arm bushings and did a 2" spring spacers since I got it last week.

Attachments

GT350HR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Nothing but Fords
I ended up buying a 2002 short bed 2.3 auto and am happy with it. The 23+ MPG has made me forget about the V8 swap. I am dumping the 7.5 and putting in an 8.8 that I have switched to Mustang disc brakes. Nothing wrong with the 7.5 but I figured I'd do the brake conversion on a separate diff and found a 4.10 open 8.8 ( I added a trac loc ) and did the swap on it instead of the 7.5 . If anyone needs a quiet 4.10-7.5 in the So Cal area , mine will be up for grabs and will include the 9" ( stock ) brakes and the 10"ers off of the 8.8. $125 will take it all.
My hairbrain idea of grafting the ranger roof and back of the cab to the Explorer is in the waste basket.
Randy

xuout1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Transmission
Automatic
I ended up buying a 2002 short bed 2.3 auto and am happy with it. The 23+ MPG has made me forget about the V8 swap. I am dumping the 7.5 and putting in an 8.8 that I have switched to Mustang disc brakes. Nothing wrong with the 7.5 but I figured I'd do the brake conversion on a separate diff and found a 4.10 open 8.8 ( I added a trac loc ) and did the swap on it instead of the 7.5 . If anyone needs a quiet 4.10-7.5 in the So Cal area , mine will be up for grabs and will include the 9" ( stock ) brakes and the 10"ers off of the 8.8. $125 will take it all.
My hairbrain idea of grafting the ranger roof and back of the cab to the Explorer is in the waste basket.
Randy
I ended up finding a 1989 regular cab short box 4x4 with the 2.3 and going to fix that up instead. Will sell the explorer now that its driving good. Still a explorer truck conversion would be fun but early rangers are dirt cheep to buy. wonder how long that will last.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals