• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Convert 2WD to 4WD: Is it possible?????

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've been going crazy these last few days thinking that it just might be possible to convert DeLone (who is 2WD) to a 4WD truck...

Now this thing is my daily driver, and I'm not going to be do doing anything too serious off-road, but I do want to be able to take it to something that isn't some little puddle on a dirt road. So I was thinking of getting a Dana 30 from a Jeep XJ and getting a BW1354 transfer case and this thing should be pretty straightforward. Could I be crazy? Stupid? In over my head? Or is this actually possible? I do know that the transfer case would have to be wired up (it's damn near impossible to find a manual 1354 at LKQ) and the cross-member brace thingy that holds the TTB's would have to be removed, but after that it seems pretty simple.

Any ideas? Would this be a TRS first? :icon_confused:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Nope, never been done or discussed before, you're a pioneer :icon_idea:

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Do you think I'll need a new tranny or driveshaft?

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
damn....where's the facepalm when ya need it...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Search s.a.s. or sas or solid axle swap.

Richard

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Facepalm? For which part? :icon_thumby:
ya need to do some lookin' around this site.

the question you've asked has been asked a million times already.and ya,it's been done a million times.

check some of the threads linked at the bottom of this post.you just might learn something.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
ya need to do some lookin' around this site.

the question you've asked has been asked a million times already.and ya,it's been done a million times.

check some of the threads linked at the bottom of this post.you just might learn something.
Ok then...... since You seem like the person to ask, I'll bug you about it. :icon_thumby: Will the 1354 bolt right into the M5OD-R1? Does the rear driveshaft need to be altered at all? What front driveshaft should I use? The one from F150/Bronco/Explorer/Ranger I might pull it off of?

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
You'll need to do some work to the trans to get the t-case to bolt up, but I'm pretty sure it's possible. Although I think it would be easier to just get a 4x4 trans and t-case together. The rear drive shaft will be different as there would now be a t-case in there and the there is a flange vs. a slip-yoke. A stock front shaft may work, but I don't know what u-joints the D30 uses.

Spend some time searching, looking through build threads and reading the Tech Library at the top of the page as most if not all of these question have already been answered many many times.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok then...... since You seem like the person to ask, I'll bug you about it. :icon_thumby: Will the 1354 bolt right into the M5OD-R1??
yes,if it's a 4x4 one.
Does the rear driveshaft need to be altered at all??
yes...you'll want one from the 4x4 that donated the t-case.there still may be mods needed,depending on the differences between your truck and the donor.there's lots of good info on this if you search.
What front driveshaft should I use? The one from F150/Bronco/Explorer/Ranger I might pull it off of?
bronco ll,ttb explorer,or ranger.once again,there may be differences between your truck and the donor that need to be considered.

the engine mount crossmember will need to be changed to the 4x4 version,the front diff will need to be matched to the gearing of the rear,and a whack of other things will need to be considered.

there's a huge amount of info on this site written by very knowledgable people.i'd suggest doing some research and gaining a base of knowledge to build on,then asking more specific questions.

people will be more than willing to help you out,but you must show an attempt to help yourself first to show you are serious enough that those taking the time to repeat information that's already out there are not simply wasting their efforts.

i don't want to sound harsh,but that's just how it is:icon_welder:.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
easiest thing to do, is find a 4x4 ranger that's something like yours, strip it of everything. trans, t/case, shafts, wiring to electric case(even tho i would find a manual- or you could just use the "shiftster" thing)..

the d30 will need custom y-link radius arms. or use a xj long arm.. like rusty's or ironman fab's(great stuff). then custom link mounts at the frame(usually doubles w/ the transmission crossmember). gotta think about your panhard (track) bar and bracket.

its a lot of work.
if i was you-- i would find a 96 4x4 ranger, and use the d35 that's in it. watch out for the d35/28 hybrids tho. get a true d35 ttb axle, that matches your rear gears. and just get everything from that ranger.

its a lot of work.

and gwaii is right. i only typed this out b/c i'm bored as hell. but usually i'd just tell you to search to. the search feature works wonders on this site. there is so much info, you just gotta try to help yourself!!!!!

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
yes,if it's a 4x4 one.
Do you mean if it's the 4WD transmission? Can I just take off that little yolk at the end of the tranny and then be all good?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Any ideas? Would this be a TRS first? :icon_confused:
Seriously man, you need to do some legwork of your own.

top right of the thread section there is this "search" function. In fact, I'll make it easy for you.

CLICK HERE

The search terms are "4wd swap". There are 4 or 5 on the first page, another 4 or 5 on the next page, probably more on the last 3. Including a mention in the "most over posted subjects" thread. And this is just general discussions, there's even more in the suspension and drive line forums.

Nobody is going to be around to spoon feed you this stuff forever, sooner or later you need to do some figuring out on your own.

Click the link and start reading.

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
hahahaha you seem in over your head. either buy a 4x4 ranger or sell your ranger and buy a 4x4. or put on a rear locker and learn how to drive a 2wd.

just sayin...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals