• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Conversion

Selfbuilt99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a 93 ranger 2wd extended cab with the 4.0... automatic. Looking to do a conversion because I want more power, I was thinking maybe I could get a bronco and swap with the 5.8 351W? Correct me if I'm wrong and can't make that work... I'm planning on doing glass, so a lot of that metal won't be there... can I stuff the engine in and build a cage for it while keeping a/c, I read somewhere that might be an issue? Maybe I could make it work... just no engine cage? Could i convert even further and use the twin traction beams? (That's just a bonus) Was hoping to go with the 351 to get around 300 hp.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
IIRC the biggest issue with a 351 is header clerance.

But yes a 351W is more then doable.

The fullsize TTB can and has been done to. But youll pry have to swap the rear axle as well. Unless you narrow the TTB.

Selfbuilt99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IIRC the biggest issue with a 351 is header clerance.

But yes a 351W is more then doable.

The fullsize TTB can and has been done to. But youll pry have to swap the rear axle as well. Unless you narrow the TTB.
Sweet! So if I pick up a complete donar Bronco I should be able to swap the entire under carriage and turn my 2wd into a 4wd... are the beams the same length? Hopefully longer... would like to be about 5-6" wider. Yeah, already seen it coming about the rear axle, is it any wider than stock on the ranger? Maybe suggestions on another axle. Another thing I was thinking about, was the tranny... would the tranny fit as well? Or I heard a 4 cyl one fits. Sorry for all the questions, just trying to plan out the entire build before I start so everything works and I'm not out hella money, kinda a budget build, but want to make sure it's done right.

Selfbuilt99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Also... was thinking 3" body lift would fix that... "clearance problem"

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The body lift is going to help a lot.

The 5.0 makes a non-AC airbox tight, and an AC one very hard to do. The 351 is taller and comes out to the side farther. The body lift may be what makes or breaks your keeping of the AC.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Sweet! So if I pick up a complete donar Bronco I should be able to swap the entire under carriage and turn my 2wd into a 4wd... are the beams the same length? Hopefully longer... would like to be about 5-6" wider. Yeah, already seen it coming about the rear axle, is it any wider than stock on the ranger? Maybe suggestions on another axle. Another thing I was thinking about, was the tranny... would the tranny fit as well? Or I heard a 4 cyl one fits. Sorry for all the questions, just trying to plan out the entire build before I start so everything works and I'm not out hella money, kinda a budget build, but want to make sure it's done right.
1- The fullsize beams are wider. Theyll have to be narrowed. Or ran full width(which is considerably wider then an ranger). Im not sure what is involved in doing this.

2- The bronco rear axle is as wide as the brocos front axle. Both are wider then your rangers.

3- You will need the transmission from the bronco, or another vehicle with either a 300 inline 6, a 302, or a 351 windsor. A 351 modified trans will bolt up. Either will any stock ranger transmissions.

4- A body lift pry wont help much. The exhaust hits the steering box IIRC.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Body lift will make a huge difference. Steering will still be tight but moving the body up is a godsend everywhere else. Trans tunnel, a/c box, hood clearance (which will be an issue with the stock efi intake) exhaust, even dropping the fuel tank... it is freaking awesome.

@4x4junkie did the TTB D44 swap on his first truck... going 2wd to 4wd may complicate things too.

Last edited:

Selfbuilt99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
1- The fullsize beams are wider. Theyll have to be narrowed. Or ran full width(which is considerably wider then an ranger). Im not sure what is involved in doing this.

2- The bronco rear axle is as wide as the brocos front axle. Both are wider then your rangers.

3- You will need the transmission from the bronco, or another vehicle with either a 300 inline 6, a 302, or a 351 windsor. A 351 modified trans will bolt up. Either will any stock ranger transmissions.

4- A body lift pry wont help much. The exhaust hits the steering box IIRC.
Ok so I'm looking at a 86 bronco, thinking I could use that for my donar, complete truck only thing wrong is tranny problems and body is a sore sight, but I'm not worried about body. Is it possible to mount up the beams in the stock ranger location? If it's too much wider, I will shorten it, but that will be a time for later on. Besides I was hoping to extend each side from stock about 5-6". Sounds like the body lift will save a headache so definitely gonna do that.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I missed the part were the Ranger is a 2wd.

To make a 2wd Ranger a 4x4 you need to either put a solid axle under it, or replace the engine cross member with one from a 4x4.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Sounds like it would be easier to put the Ranger cab and bed onto the Bronco Frame.

Selfbuilt99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet guys, thanks... think I'll just keep it 2wd for sakes of headache purposes, maybe convert it later. Will the 351 bolt up to the a4ld tranny? Or do they make a conversation plate?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Sweet guys, thanks... think I'll just keep it 2wd for sakes of headache purposes, maybe convert it later. Will the 351 bolt up to the a4ld tranny? Or do they make a conversation plate?
No it will not.

The A4LD would last about 30 seconds behind a 351W anyways.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals