• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Conversion to 4.0 Transmission Question

Tictac1994

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Im trying to convert my 89 2.9l Auto ranger to the 4.0. I have a motor out of a 1990 with wire harness and ECU. As of rightnow having issues tracking down a good transmission out of a 4.0 ranger. So my question is can i keep my 89 auto transmission and just get it rebuilt with stronger parts to easily last with the 4.0 or does the ECU out of the 90 use different sensors for functioning the a4ld that came with it

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The A4LD like most automatics has an integrated bell housing, this means it is engine specific, the bolt pattern will only match specific engines.

2.8l, 2.9l and 4.0l all used the same bolt pattern for transmission, so if your "old" engine was a 2.9l, then yes, it can bolt to the 4.0l block.
If "old" engine was a 2.3l or 3.0l then no it won't work.

The computer is different for manual trans and automatic.
If your 4.0l computer is for an automatic then yes it will work, if it is for a manual then no it will not work.

Read here about A4LD: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/a4ld.shtml

Last edited:

danger132ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.oL
Transmission
Automatic
where are you located im selling a 4r44e transmission was rebuilt 30k ago and got paper work for proof. I am doing a v8 swap and dont need it. transfer case and wiring harnes included

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know if you have the funds but to put in a 5 speed for the long run would be better in my opinion.You can get one on E-Bay for $850 if not possible I know how that is the A4LD's aren't as reliable.The 4R44E might be a different deal I've had bad luck with A4LD's.

Tictac1994

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
The A4LD like most automatics has an integrated bell housing, this means it is engine specific, the bolt pattern will only match specific engines.

2.8l, 2.9l and 4.0l all used the same bolt pattern for transmission, so if your "old" engine was a 2.9l, then yes, it can bolt to the 4.0l block.
If "old" engine was a 2.3l or 3.0l then no it won't work.

The computer is different for manual trans and automatic.
If your 4.0l computer is for an automatic then yes it will work, if it is for a manual then no it will not work.

Read here about A4LD: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/a4ld.shtml
I updated my post, sorry i didnt give my current setup

Tictac1994

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I would like to stay with an auto setup. I had bad knees and hip displacia...im only 22 this really sucks

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
IIRC the 4.0 A4LD has an extra solenoid, whereas the 2.9 A4LD automatically actuated that function internally.

Meaning that a 4.0 ECU could run a 2.9 A4LD, with the signal to actuate that extra solenoid just going nowhere.

But running a 4.0 A4LD with a 2.9 computer wouldn't get correct operation

Tictac1994

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
IIRC the 4.0 A4LD has an extra solenoid, whereas the 2.9 A4LD automatically actuated that function internally.

Meaning that a 4.0 ECU could run a 2.9 A4LD, with the signal to actuate that extra solenoid just going nowhere.

But running a 4.0 A4LD with a 2.9 computer wouldn't get correct operation

I have the 90 ecu that was with the motor when i pulled it

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry about hip trouble I've seen that in friends I'm an old guy though.Some have good luck going auto some research and probably ok.

Tictac1994

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
where are you located im selling a 4r44e transmission was rebuilt 30k ago and got paper work for proof. I am doing a v8 swap and dont need it. transfer case and wiring harnes included

Sorry man i initially went past your comment cuz i thought it was a 4speed transmission, it is an auto right? And come with the bell housing and would it bolt up to 90 4.0

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
IDK, but, I would check out the flex plate, converter and starter for compatibility between the two engines to use the 2.9 trans with the 4.0 engine. May have to do some mix and match stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals