• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Conversion kit?

Would you buy one?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The one from Behemoth costs around $800
I didn't see it on their website so I wasn't sure they made it. Either way, $800 is too much for a shifter... I think I paid half that for my JB twin stick 205 kit and their sales/support people are super cool. Behemoth has a terrible reputation too.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am about to drop the $800+ on the one that is available because I am pretty sick of the thing only shifting into 4x4 when things are warm. Its usually a cold winter morning with unexpected snow that I need the 4x4. If it were $400 I would have done it already. So I guess that means $400-500 is the price I'm willing to pay.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I am about to drop the $800+ on the one that is available because I am pretty sick of the thing only shifting into 4x4 when things are warm. Its usually a cold winter morning with unexpected snow that I need the 4x4. If it were $400 I would have done it already. So I guess that means $400-500 is the price I'm willing to pay.
I see they have a payment plan. Everyone seems to love payments. whether it's a new car, new TV, cell phone, etc.

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
Saskatchewan...hard to spell...easy to draw
They did, but the manual versions are EXTREMELY hard to find, damn near impossible actually.....
Rock auto has them....starting at $1800 going up to 3K for the MR51. Ouch.

NakedDucks

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Exactly!!

So if I can make a kit for around $250-300…..

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If someone were to make a true conversion kit to turn an Electric 13-54 to a true manual shifted one, would you buy one?

I'm talking new shift rails, new front case 1/2, and a new shift arm......possibly even using some parts cannibalized from an manual shifted 13-50 to help keep costs down.

Not some contraption that bolts to the back and turns the shaft like another manufacturer made, but uses a "stock" floor shifter and boot?

I would of course follow the needed and correct channels on here to become a vendor if this idea materializes.

Edited to include a question:

Whats the most you'd pay for this kit?
Based on cost for Dana 300 replacement case, new front case 1/2 would run you >$1k (BW1354 case is about same width/height, and little deeper than Dana 300, for which whole case costs $1,600).
Now that assumes you are CNC machining out of billet. If you can cast case, you have a lot less material/machining. The issue with casting is porosity/heat treatment. Both are challenging for amateurs.

The shift rails, shifter, linkage is going be challenging to keep under $500.

Cannibalizing 13-50 is good idea, but how many of them do you have available.
Part of problem companies like Behemoth have - they have great idea, they put it on market, there is huge demand which exceeds supply, people get frustrated that they can't get parts and company get bad rep. Can you take time off from day job to work this project for several months?? Additionally, there's quality control on casting/machining/heat treatment is compromised to get product out the door which hurts rep as well.​
I'm not telling you not to try it; just warning you of pitfalls.

NakedDucks

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can drill the current 13-54 case. I’ve done it…. So yes, I know for a fact it can be done. The indent is already there in the case casting.

As far as sourcing parts from a 13-50, that would be on you you source…..

The only 2 parts that will ACTUALLY need to be manufactured are the shift arm for the shifter and shift lever on the case itself.

Possibly a shaft for the shift forks, but that could be cured with a plug and spacer for the rear of the case where the motor was removed….. these 2 parts could even be made as a single piece plug/spacer combo.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
You can drill the current 13-54 case. I’ve done it…. So yes, I know for a fact it can be done. The indent is already there in the case casting.

As far as sourcing parts from a 13-50, that would be on you you source…..

The only 2 parts that will ACTUALLY need to be manufactured are the shift arm for the shifter and shift lever on the case itself.

Possibly a shaft for the shift forks, but that could be cured with a plug and spacer for the rear of the case where the motor was removed….. these 2 parts could even be made as a single piece plug/spacer combo.
It’s not just drilling the case for the shaft that needs to be done. You also have to ream the hole to the final diameter. If you just drill it, the oring won’t last long before it starts leaking.
Then there’s the fact that the 13-54 case is thicker and a little different than the 13-50 case where the shaft goes through. You can’t bolt an arm on a 13-50 shaft in a 13-54 case… the shaft is not long enough. You have to weld it on to the threaded part.
You also need to drill it for the detent and indicator switch. Then tap it for the switch… or you can drill it from the opposite side from the switch and tap it for a 1/8” pipe plug and not even install an indicator switch.

I’ve built a 13-54 manual from a 13-54 E-shift and a 13-50 manual… It would probably be better to build a manual shift setup that just bolts on in place of the electric motor. That way you don’t have to modify cases, source obsolete 13-50 parts, etc… and it would also fit some of the full size T-cases.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Exactly!!

So if I can make a kit for around $250-300…..
That price is probably about the max I would pay.

It had better work well and be easy to install too. $300 + split the case to install + delicate machine work will be a tough sell.

Since you asked I do not see a 1354 entering my life so no, I would not be a buyer.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think the way to execute the shifter is to make a rack similar to the one that is on the market and just remove the electric motor and install the rack/pinion. I think that can be done for way less than the $800 they are charging, but I'm not optimistic it can be done at a profit for $300.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes I think it would be a great idea, but It would have to be cheaper than swapping to a manual shift case. They aren't as hard to find as everyone says they are, at least not for me, I picked up 2 last month for under $400, also grabbed an Explorer rear axle for $150. For no more than $250 it would be a good idea.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
If the 1354's get too hard to find, you could always swap to a 4406 - those seem to be easier to locate with manual shifters. Just have to convert a few other pieces up stream to make it happen. ;-)

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yes I think it would be a great idea, but It would have to be cheaper than swapping to a manual shift case. They aren't as hard to find as everyone says they are, at least not for me, I picked up 2 last month for under $400, also grabbed an Explorer rear axle for $150. For no more than $250 it would be a good idea.
I agree - my local junkyards always seem to have one pop up every now and then. Can you go buy one anywhere, any day of the week? No... just have to be patient and it seems like people just give up if they don't get immediate satisfaction.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You're looking $750 - 1k for conversion.

You need to disassemble your 1354, and ship front 1/2 to @NakedDucks - $50​
He is going to drill and ream the case for the manual shifter, drill and tap for the detent and indicator switch - $100 (Need to pay for jigs, drill bits, ream, tap, cutting fluid, mistakes, time and profit)​
He will then ship back to you. - $50​
Included in his shipping will be: shifter, linkage, mounting bracket for shifter, floor boot, custom shaft to mount 1350 shift plate in 1354, o-ring and cover plate for back 1/2 including time & profit - $250 (Novak Conversion Jeep shifters run that much with aforementioned pieces)​
You will need to source 1350 transfer case and disassemble for required parts - $150​
While you have transfer case apart, replace chain - $100, bearings/seals, silicon and oil - $50.​
Subtotal $750*​
Labor if you don't do it yourself/tools & BEvERageS if you do - $250​
Total $1k​

*Yes, you might be able to source parts for less/reuse existing bearings/chain/seal but you need to think average customer. Going to wrecker to source 1350 isn't everyone's cup of tea.

$500 for the rack and pinion in case isn't unreasonable for machining effort/low volume (the other $250 is shifter/linkage/boot). You have to factor in warranty replacements and lost shipments.

I've built a bunch of custom parts for myself and I was fully aware that I couldn't sell them at cost, let alone profit. Most of my perspective customers have just as much fun as I do making the one off solutions, so wouldn't pay for mine. I like the idea, but Ranger owners are a tight fisted bunch and I fear OP is underestimating the cost/effort.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals