• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Conversion kit?

Would you buy one?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

NakedDucks

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If someone were to make a true conversion kit to turn an Electric 13-54 to a true manual shifted one, would you buy one?

I'm talking new shift rails, new front case 1/2, and a new shift arm......possibly even using some parts cannibalized from an manual shifted 13-50 to help keep costs down.

Not some contraption that bolts to the back and turns the shaft like another manufacturer made, but uses a "stock" floor shifter and boot?

I would of course follow the needed and correct channels on here to become a vendor if this idea materializes.

Edited to include a question:

Whats the most you'd pay for this kit?

Last edited:

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
I thought the 1354 came either electric or manual. If so, couldn't you just find a manual setup and steal the linkage and install on your t/case? or would that not be possible due to the module?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I thought the 1354 came either electric or manual. If so, couldn't you just find a manual setup and steal the linkage and install on your t/case? or would that not be possible due to the module?
The internals are different. Everything other than the gears, shafts, and forks are different between the two. Even the outer cases are drilled differently.

NakedDucks

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

They did, but the manual versions are EXTREMELY hard to find, damn near impossible actually.....

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I keep the electric motor and just put a on-off-on center return toggle switch on them. Works and hooks up like a electric window setup, only instead of moving the window up and down you are moving the electric shift motor back and forth. Only problem selling something like this is liability when some doe doe moves the switch when they are not supposed to. I guess you could reach down on a manual transfer case and pull the lever back at the wrong time and trash it also. But since it was your switch, they would probably come after you for it.

NakedDucks

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Only problem selling something like this is liability when some doe doe moves the switch when they are not supposed to. I guess you could reach down on a manual transfer case and pull the lever back at the wrong time and trash it also. But since it was your switch, they would probably come after you for it.
It would have a floor shifter like a manual 13-50 does.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
The downfall is that you have to remove and disassemble the T Case to install it. That might limit many folks that won't do those repairs themselves. I'm sure there will be some interest in it though. I would consider one myself if when I do a M5OD swap in my Bronco II.

I still like the thought of having one of the old shiftsters to get me out of trouble for my truck box.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
As for what I would pay? I don't really know. Seems like it could get a bit spendy.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I think it's a cool idea but my suggestion would be to come up with a cable or linkage setup that actuates the shift mechanism on an electric shift t-case and simply replaces the electric motor while giving you a shift lever at the same time. IIRC Behemoth Drivetrain? or some other place made a product like that at one point but no longer do. Easy, bolt on kit that could give you a lever on the floor in a couple hours.

My opinion is that something along those lines would sell better and FAR less R&D involved. If I needed a kit like that I would be willing to spend up to about $250. I suspect a new front case half for a 1354 plus a shifter and whatever else would end up being 3-4x that much, and require t-case disassembly. If I'm a grand into a 1354, I would rather save that cost and drop it on an Atlas instead.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I think it's a cool idea but my suggestion would be to come up with a cable or linkage setup that actuates the shift mechanism on an electric shift t-case and simply replaces the electric motor while giving you a shift lever at the same time. IIRC Behemoth Drivetrain? or some other place made a product like that at one point but no longer do. Easy, bolt on kit that could give you a lever on the floor in a couple hours.

My opinion is that something along those lines would sell better and FAR less R&D involved. If I needed a kit like that I would be willing to spend up to about $250. I suspect a new front case half for a 1354 plus a shifter and whatever else would end up being 3-4x that much, and require t-case disassembly. If I'm a grand into a 1354, I would rather save that cost and drop it on an Atlas instead.
I designed a prototype like that years ago. It used a 3:1 gear reduction made from gears available from Grainger and 1/2” x 4” aluminum flat stock for the t case side. I never got around to locating a cable, but I planned to use a cheap aluminum shifter from Speedway Motors.

NakedDucks

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

The one from Behemoth costs around $800

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I tried using a grease gun hose as a driveshaft and put a shifter in the cab. It didn't work very well. Part of the problem, even with the shiftsters knob I suspect (never had one) are the detents for each gear position are not very positive. If you had your own mechanical shifter, it would have to be carefully gated and adjusted to get the different modes.

The motors used to be available in the store for not much money. If you wanted to spend a little time, I think a electrical solution would be better than a mechanical solution. Electrical meaning more robust and simpler than the factory setup. Engineers need to justify their jobs with a lot of engineering you know. That seems to be their downfall sometimes.

NakedDucks

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The downfall is that you have to remove and disassemble the T Case to install it. That might limit many folks that won't do those repairs themselves. I'm sure there will be some interest in it though. I would consider one myself if when I do a M5OD swap in my Bronco II.

I still like the thought of having one of the old shiftsters to get me out of trouble for my truck box.
I could offer build service if needed.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I could offer build service if needed.
That might be an option too... just sell it completed. Many folks what bolt in.

I would tackle that job for myself.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
If you can do it and make it affordable, that would be great. Personally, I try to keep things to the cheap side. I shop at the junk yard, Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace or I build what I need. Like Shran said, if it costs a thousand or more, I'd probably save up for an Atlas and have a more robust case with better gear ratios.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals