• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Continued intro and my conundrum.

99rangers

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
My credo
Whatever can be put off till tomorrow, should be put off untill tomorrow.
So I hope I got my situation clearly stated in my intro and here is where the rubber meets the road. Im not sure now weather to stay my original plan and transplant my 2000 4w drive 3.0l engine into the 99 manual 5 speed or cannablize the 99 into the 2000.the one thing that concerns me is the fact orwrong info that the flywheel bolt pattern on the automatic and manual flywheels are different. Amd a show stopper for me. Hopefully you all will have a clearer idea of what I should do and how to do it.
Thanks in advance for yor time .
Eric

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you want 4WD then you need to use the 4WD frame, its a different frame up front, boxed for less flexing

4WD is/was never "a bolt on option" a 4WD truck starts with a 4WD frame, 2WD has a 2WD frame to start, on the assembly line

ALL 3.0l Vulcan's used the same crank bolt pattern from 1986 thru 2008, so same flywheel or flex plate pattern, no worries there
(The 4.0l OHV changed crank bolt pattern in 1997, from 6 to 8 bolts)

Transmissions are 2WD or 4WD, 4WD has different output shaft length and a housing that the transfer case can bolt to
Automatics can't be converted without full tear down to replace main shaft
Manuals can be but partial tear down is required, better to sell the 2WD trans and buy a 4WD version
And 4WD manual trans is an M5OD-R1(M5R1) so needs to be for/from a 4WD 3.0l Ranger or B3000 so bell housing matches

99rangers

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
My credo
If you want 4WD then you need to use the 4WD frame, its a different frame up front, boxed for less flexing

4WD is/was never "a bolt on option" a 4WD truck starts with a 4WD frame, 2WD has a 2WD frame to start, on the assembly line

ALL 3.0l Vulcan's used the same crank bolt pattern from 1986 thru 2008, so same flywheel or flex plate pattern, no worries there
(The 4.0l OHV changed crank bolt pattern in 1997, from 6 to 8 bolts)

Transmissions are 2WD or 4WD, 4WD has different output shaft length and a housing that the transfer case can bolt to
Automatics can't be converted without full tear down to replace main shaft
Manuals can be but partial tear down is required, better to sell the 2WD trans and buy a 4WD version
And 4WD manual trans is an M5OD-R1(M5R1) so needs to be for/from a 4WD 3.0l Ranger or B3000 so bell housing matches
Thank you Ron much appreciated the nolt pTtern haf me since a Guy told me a story unsolicited,he probably jad a 4.0. Anyway I have pretty much drcided tl strip my 99 to build the 2000 4wd as the 2k is in bettershapebody and upholstery wise.I had hopedhe was wRong about the bolt pattern. So basically put thefuel system back together and get the new keys cut and married. Them Ill probably find out why the truck was scrapped in the First plaCe.. tomorrow 'Ill take se.pictures . And post the progress as the job goes along if anynody is interested. Thamks agsin for all that valuable info and the time xou took to give it away. Eric aka 99rangers.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Idk think either way is gonna be a lot of work, time and parts hunts. You might as well toss a coin at this point, or throw a few at something a little less beat. from what you describe, neither are a great foundation to do all that building on If its sentimental for you, then go for it and build em. Otherwise I would rather do all that wrenching towards something more fun like mods or custom builds. Youre pretty much doing a frame on resto lol might as well build a cool hot rod.

If you decide to fix one, you can probably recover a chunk of budget selling off the good parts you wont need from the other.

99rangers

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
My credo
Those were kind of .my intentions from the beginning. And as it is turning out best case is to get what I need off of the 99 and get the 2000 up and running.
This all is occuring because I blew the engine primarily head gaskets and what ever went when as I drove merrily down the road one sunday morning my engine started to clang. I looked at my dash as i was pulling over there were no indications but even as i reached for my key the truck stalled. Whdn I lfted the hood steam was shooting out the side of my engine.
Long story short towed home and the search for a beater to get around . F'n sdcond hand market rediculously inflated ( like. Every thing se) I ended buying a 02 tacoma 4wd, looks like a war wagon.guy asking 3500. Got it for 2800. After looking for 3 weeks toyota was best deal of the moment.
This is my last long winded post I hate typing. On a phone.so bottom line what ever runs best when im theough will be kept the other ill be sold off.. they both carry motorcycles or pull a trailerI truly hope i dont put too much into the 2000 to find it undrivable then itll be back to 99 and the engine from 2000 minus flex plate into the 99. Thanks guys ill post pic as soon as i take em.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals