• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Connection at Y-pipe and cat on '93 3.0 4x4

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm doing some exhaust work that failed inspection, cracked RH manifold and deteriorated gaskets between Y-pipe & Cat. 4 of 6 manifold bolts broke. Got them out then off to the "easy" part of the job loosening the three nuts fastening the cat to the Y-pipe. The nuts were rusted to round corners. So I used a cut-off wheel for the top inside and bottom. However the top nut towards the frame rail is basically not accessible by most tools. Trying things I put a 1: slice in the y-pipe but I can weld that shut. What I didn't realize was the y-pipe has an extension past the flange that appears to go inside the cat flange. So I cut through that and figured I'll need to deal with that later. So I'm committed with the sawzall and I've gone through three blades trying to get though that one Cat stud. Are they of a different material? A magnet sticks so I'm assuming a ferrous stud and nut. So I'll get more blades today and get through it. I guess I'll need to grind out the stud remains in the cat and use bolts to get it back together.

My main concern is that extension of the y-pipe going into the cat is oval. I don't know if a flange to flange fit with the gasket only will seal it? Has anyone else dealt with this in a similar manner?

Thanks!
Doug

funguy26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245/75R16
50206 Walker Exhaust

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
I'm afraid I won't be of much help other than to commiserate with you. When I did my 94 4.0 the Y-pipe was oval, but so was the Cat, so it matched up with no issues.
Good luck with that sawzall. I remember that part all too well.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That extention gives it two staggered layers helping to prevent blow-by, I suppose it's possible a pinhole there could turn it into a torch

why are you cutting the bolts? I'd be using the stubs to grip what's left of it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals