• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Confusion over auto trans

Wigglesrewind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000 2WD
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone, long time stranger returning after being ranger-less for about 10 years or so. Just picked up a 2006 mazda B3000 2WD and was doing a trans filter and fluid change and noticed it has an 18 bolt trans pan which according to what ive read is a 4r44e. The truck definitely drives like a 4speed. Runs about 2700rpms at 70. Im surprised by this as my vin sticker trans code is D which should be a 5speed.

I was under the assumption that even though the 2 transmissions are very similar they arent interchangable due to the trucks computer. I wouldn't really care normally except the truck has 165k on the clock and was looking at maybe picking up a spare trans and dont want to waste time removing one that i couldn't use. a junkyard by me usually runs 50% off days and has a half dozen late model rangers i could pick over and find a cheap spare.

Just wondering what to make of this...certainly seems like its a 4speed auto but that leaves me wondering how they made that work unless the transmissions are more interchangable than ive read.

Bestow your wisdom on me ranger nation!

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome back to TRS :)

You would have a 5R44E in a 2006, 2001-2008 3.0l Ranger or B3000

You are correct the the 4R44E wouldn't have the ISS sensor above the shifter on drivers side so wouldn't work in a 2001-2008 3.0l Ranger/B3000 because computer needs that sensor
So the 18 bolt pan is odd

But outside of that added ISS sensor and pan bolts the 4R and 5R are the same
The added gear was turning on OD while still in 1st, giving a "faux 2nd" gear, so its a computer added gear no change to transmission "gears"

Have a look just above shifter on drivers side for the ISS sensor, if its there in you have a 5R

Diagram here: https://f01.justanswer.com/tsmodie/d5ff14e0-07c1-4ecb-ae94-4d8075833b97_oss.png

Shows ISS(center) and OSS(rear) sensor positions

Wigglesrewind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000 2WD
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replies! Im excited to have another one after a few years! I checked and it does indeed have the ISS above the linkage so it must be the 5R. Weird about the pan being the old style. The truck was assembled in the usa and exported the canada for sale then eventually imported back to Michigan later in life so maybe that has something to do with it. Either way I've been enjoying wrenching on it. Bought it as a non running project for 1000 bucks after it sat for 2 years and wouldnt start. got it running with just the basics(new battery, plugs, wires, fuel filter and fresh gas) and am enjoying having a cheap truck around.

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
A4LD and the 4R-5RE all use the same 18 bolt pan. Only difference is 2x4 and 4x4

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
The chart is incorrect. Here you go.
7969A699-6082-43C2-97A0-E1D0361767F8.jpeg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals