• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Concealed Carry Pistol Thread

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual

My carry rotation,from top Rock Island armory .45 tactical 5", Taurus m606 .357 magnum,Colt Defender .45.

All carried owb,if i have pants on,i have one of these firearms on,except 8 hours a day while working,then I have a 9x18 makarov in work truck.

Those of you whom carry a small caliber weapon remember that the gun you have with you is better than the cannon back at home.

Test your carry ammo

Know the law

practice and train with carry ammo

Stay alert and within the law

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Looked at several guns at sportsman warehouse today. I def want a Springfield xd. The guy there recommended the 9mm since I wanted to shoot for fun to bc of the price of ammo. He said the .45 was overkill lol. I think I want the power of the .45.

What's yalls opinion of the 9mm vs .40 vs .45?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looked at several guns at sportsman warehouse today. I def want a Springfield xd. The guy there recommended the 9mm since I wanted to shoot for fun to bc of the price of ammo. He said the .45 was overkill lol. I think I want the power of the .45.

For me it would be between the .40 and the .45. IMO in a defense situation there is no kill like overkill.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
caliber is moot if you can not place your rounds on target don't forget that.

9MM is far far cheaper and with a proper defense round can do you just fine.

My 9mm i use 120gr FMJ because that is what the pistol is made to use and the HP rounds it likes are not in stock around local. Its a bit of a disadvantage as i have to be even more aware with them where my rounds could go.

my .45 is fed with Hornady 185GR +P XTP.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well if you want a sub-compact xd for concealed carry you wont be getting a .45. the biggest they make is a .40. With a .45 coming out of a 3 inch barrel it would be harder to get back on target. A .40 is plenty with that gun. You can get 1,000 rounds for $255 for target practice

http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-40-s-w-ammo-40sw180fmjmbi-1000

and I've seen 500 rounds of Federal HST (awesome hollow-point ammo) for less than $170. Looks like they dont have that right now though. Federal only sells HST to law enforcement.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Shoot,forgot to list my ammo preferences,so here goes,5" .45 likes Speer gold dot 230 gr,Colt likes Remminton 185 gr golden sabers,Taurus is equipped with Federal hydra shock .38 special+p,w/winchester silvertip .357 in speedloader.

Colt has 3 magazines which are colt,Rock has 3 Wilson Combat mags,I carry 2 in double mag pouch depending on which i carry,always cocked and locked.

Cheaperthandirt.com
georgiaarms.com

Last edited:

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
yeah, I DON'T LIKE GLOCKS. never have. i don't like the way they feel. sure they are a good gun. but hey, that bersa we have shoots everytime i pull the trigger. its never misfired or jammed on me. and i've put probably 250 rounds thru it. so just b/c a glock works when you pull the trigger--so does a $190 bersa we have.. lol.

glocks just don't feel right in my hand.. and i want a gun that's comfy in my hand.
I feel the same way, the Glocks just don't fit my hand right.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
the guy at sportsman warehouse said the same thing.. he recommends the xd's or sig's. but sig's cost a few hundred more lol.. not happening. i'm already gonna be hurting my truck fund to get my ccp and pistol so... oh well. lol.

i really like the xd's. just don't know if i want a 9mm, .40, or .45... the guy at the store recommended the 9mm b/c i wanna shoot for fun to, and the price of ammo. i've always heard bad about .40's b/c it has more recoil than a .45 but less knockdown, so why would it be worth it?

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
I have a S&W Sigma 9mm. When I work at night I take with to sites. I smooth trigger pull does not require a lot to pull it back.

Pictured is a .40. I have that with a laser hanging off the front.

Comfortable and easy to handle.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I currently carry an XD40 Sub Compact. I'm starting to dislike the size and would like to switch to a Glock 27 but don't have the cash to do it and I need an aftermarket barrel to shoot my lead reloads. Friend just bought a Ruger LCP, we went up and shot it yesterday, neat little gun that's easily concealable, trigger and sights are awful but it's not a casual shooting gun.
i've always heard bad about .40's b/c it has more recoil than a .45 but less knockdown, so why would it be worth it?
Your average .40 and .45 rounds offer nearly equal muzzle energy and the .40 typically has higher sectional density depending on bullet weight. Having shot both my XD40sc and an XD45, I found them to be about equal in terms of recoil. .40 is cheaper by the box and from the research I've done, it's cheaper to reload too. 9mm will obviously be the cheapest and have the least recoil.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Actually, based on ballistics data, your average .40 has a touch more energy than .45, due to the .40 running a higher chamber pressure. They also travel a hell of a lot faster. That's why there is virtually nobody making any +p .40. Georgia Arms will make you all the +p+ you could ever want, though, but that stuff will damage most handguns. I've got a recoil supressor (the guide rod replacement kind from buffertech) and Berettas can handle hotter loads than most any handgun anyways. The Army ran them up to 75,000psi before they started having failures - try THAT with a glock. .45 has more stopping power since it's a larger round that makes a bigger hole. It just doesn't burrow as deep. I've recovered hollowpoints that dug 8" into a log, the wadcutters left exit wounds in the 12" log. The recoil is snappy, though. I own a Beretta 96 in .40, and have a CrossBreed Supertuck. It is an excellent holster, they are made to order, takes like 6 weeks or so to get one, and mine was around $80 plus shipping. It's also made from horsehide, and it's so comfortable it's like it isn't even there - minus the weight of course. As far as reliability, most of the common stuff is reliable as the next - but before you carry a pistol, put like 1000 rounds through it minimum to break it in and familiarize yourself with it. You should be able to chamber, reload, and work the safety without any sort of thought put into it. A few thousand rounds won't be cheap these days, but you'd be amazed how much better most handguns shoot afterwards. I'm not sure how many rounds are through my Beretta as I got it second hand, but I've put like 3500 through it myself over the years. She's not stock, either. I have a few different barrels for it and what not. I want to get a Sig 226 Equinox in .357 sometime, when I can find a good used one, lol.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Think I'm gonna get a subcompact .40 xd. Maybe even the xd(m)

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5

I've owned and carried all 3 calibers plus .38 and .357, The .38 was a 5 shot taurus.I carried that one alot. Sold all but the .45, needed the money.I wished I kept the .38,small and easy to conceal.The .45 is a sweet shooter.It's an auto-ordinance,parkerized.I felt comfortable with any of them.Shot placement is what counts.When it came to keeping just one tho' the .45 was it.It makes a big hole.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've owned and carried all 3 calibers plus .38 and .357, The .38 was a 5 shot taurus.I carried that one alot. Sold all but the .45, needed the money.I wished I kept the .38,small and easy to conceal.The .45 is a sweet shooter.It's an auto-ordinance,parkerized.I felt comfortable with any of them.Shot placement is what counts.When it came to keeping just one tho' the .45 was it.It makes a big hole.
:icon_thumby: How do you like the trigger pull on you AO? Both my Rock and Colt have the sweetest trigger pull.

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've got a Beretta 92FS Centurion with a 2 mag shoulder holster for a total of 3 mags. It's about an inch shorter than the regular 92FS so it's easier to conceal. Berettas are usually very reliable and I've never had any problms with any Beretta I've used. 9mm. Parabellum with copper jacketed hollowpoints...can't remember the amount of powder I used when I loaded them, but they kick a$$. Puts rounds downrange pretty damn accurately and not too bad in kick for a shorter pistol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals