• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Concealed Carry Pistol Thread

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Honestly for me it's XDm or Glock... just for the money you can't beat the long lived reliability of either.

BIG QUESTION: Have you shot either of them? Have any local ranges that rent guns? You don't just buy a gun.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Figured I'd update, been carrying the shield for over a year now. And... I still love it. I have done a few mods which include a 360 stippling job and apex DCAEK trigger kit and ameriglo I-dot sights.

It stays nasty dirty loaded with lint and dust from work and have yet to have a malfunction in a little over 1k rounds. I carry it in a comp tac CTAC at 4:30ish.

mdn14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have not shot either. I was going based off the reviews I have read online.

And I wasn't going to just up and buy a gun haha. as for ranges, there are some around, however I do not know if they allow people to rent and shoot their guns.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would recommend a Sig, I have shot a few, nice guns to handle, also shot a couple glock 22's they were nice, but not as nice as the sigs

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
you can't deny the Glock as an EDC piece...
you can't deny the XDm as an EDC piece...
you can't deny the M&P as an EDC piece...
you can't deny the Sig as an EDC piece...

I'm stopping here b/c I could be here all day...
Point is, find what fits YOU the best and buy a QUALITY firearm and you'll be fine. Some are "tougher" than others. Some work better than others if not cleaned... I was about 1200 rounds or so in my XDm before cleaning it and it never malfunctioned. Till this day (3000 rounds or so) I've never had an issue with my XDm.

also, I'm just gonna leave this here... Need a way to practice drawing and shooting first shot when you can't actually shoot?
check out http://www.laserlyte.com/collections/lts
(it's cheaper on Amazon)
and by no means am I saying this is a replacement for actually shooting... NO, it's not. However, this will allow you to build your basics correctly when you are stuck and home and can't make it to a range.

mdn14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I stopped by some sporting goods stores today and held and took a look at a couple of guns. Most were .45 acp (which I think I'm sold on for caliber). And two .40.

First was the Walther PPS (.40) mentioned above. I was not fond of it. The handle was far too skinny for my hand. Next!

The 1911 Colt Defender (.45). It felt nice but I did not like the rubber grip. Next!

So on to the 1911 Colt New Agent (.45). This felt much better as it did not have a rubber grip. This gun is still in the running.

Next was the Sig Sauer 1911 Ultra Two Tone (.45). I REALLY like the feel of this gun in my hand and it didn't seem like it was as heavy as the other 1911's I had looked at.. This was probably my favorite gun that I went out and looked at today.

I also looked at the Kimber Ultra Carry II (.45). This for me was on the same level of comfort and lightness as the Sig. However the price tag kinda drove me away. Especially since Kimber only gives you the gun, a mag, and the case it comes in (and a lifetime warranty of course).

The 1911 Springfield Armory EMP (.40). This gun was also very nice but I'm pretty much sold on the .45.

The Glock 36 and XDs (both .45) were the last two guns I checked out (non-1911's :( ). The XDs was not comfortable without the pinky extension on the magazine. The handle was also a bit thin for my liking. And the glock 36 was nice but a bit thick in the barrel. I was also told the Glock 36 is known to be quite snappy. Basically you cant "limp wrist" it when firing it. I'd have to shoot this one on a range to get a better feel for it.

Conclusion. The Sig Sauer, Kimber, and Glock are the top 3 that I really liked the feel of in my hand.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
have you got nice 1911 money to spend on EDC gun?
think workhorse... out of what you listed, Glock all the way.....

mdn14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
By the time I turn 21 (after I co-op a few weeks) I will have the money for a nice 1911 carry. Gonna do some more research on them all. I'll be sick of reading forums by the end of next week.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Forums can only give you so much info.

I say Glock, but shoot them first if possible.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would recomend against a 1911 for carry.

Unless its a high dollar fine tuned machine that I've ran a lot of rounds through to confirm its reliability... I wouldn't have it.

1911's are big, heavy and low capacity. IMHO there are much better choices then a 1911 carry. I work on a ton of them and have shot a bunch of them from $350 rock islands to $3500 Wilson's. have yet to find one I'd be willing to carry.

Jay'94

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I carried 1911 variants from a variety of manufacturers over the years, never had one jam except on a range with other than ball ammunition. a 1911 variant being unreliable is usually a result of the operator limp wristing and not providing a solid platform. I know however have no need to carry as I've retired from making war, moved to one of the biggest liberal enclaves of the world, live in tree huggerville, grown my hair out, became a hippie and live where crime doesn't exist. We're all living in peace and harmony! :D:D:D:icon_twisted:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I like the CZ 82 for open carry when I'm in colorado, (no idea why texas will not allow this) but I think it would make a good concealed carry pistol because of it being compact. They have 12 rounds magazines, not that you should be shooting that many unless you get into a gun battle, but it also has ambidextrous safety and mag release, it also has a big trigger guard for if you are wearing gloves or something. It is pretty heavy fully loaded though, a little less than a 1911, so that's something to think about, and you can get one for around $280. The main downside is that small 9x18 round, I just don't know how well it would perform, I suppose it's pretty similar to .380.

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
weight ain't THAT bad if you use a proper holster AND BELT.
Not that I'd want a heavy carry piece, but... realistic weights is fine.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
So a full size every day with the right holster? Meh, to each their own. Still prefer a more comfy compact. Then again, I'm IWB so that makes a difference. I do agree with slo-vo about 1911s though. Great design, have shot probably only 100-150 round with my friends, and it's reliable. Just bulky and a hassle.

Mastuh, do you not think home defense rounds in 9mm would not be sufficient?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
So a full size every day with the right holster? Meh, to each their own. Still prefer a more comfy compact. Then again, I'm IWB so that makes a difference.
a full size in the right holster and with the right belt would be fine from a carry standpoint... the size might form a problem for conceal carrying but from just a weight/carry standpoint a full size is fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals