• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

conceal carry gun rant

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
so when the mugger asks me for my wallet and i pump 6 rounds of .38 in his direction....he will what, laugh and say "that tickles?"
It all depends on the attacker. Adrenalin, drugs, alcohol and shot placement can make for a lot of variables, there's been a lot of people shot multiple times with 9mm, .40 and .45 that still put up a fight. Without a head/spinal cord shot, you're stuck waiting for them to bleed out if they're in it to win it. A "bigger" caliber will penetrate deeper and hopefully take more vitals with it than a smaller one, but it's never a sure thing.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My personal carry is a .40 cal Taurus 24/7. Knock down stay down power at its finest.
There is always a bigger gun...

It all depends on the attacker. Adrenalin, drugs, alcohol and shot placement can make for a lot of variables, there's been a lot of people shot multiple times with 9mm, .40 and .45 that still put up a fight. Without a head/spinal cord shot, you're stuck waiting for them to bleed out if they're in it to win it. A "bigger" caliber will penetrate deeper and hopefully take more vitals with it than a smaller one, but it's never a sure thing.
I have seen deer run several hundred yards with virtually no heart... through and through (of the heart) with a 12ga slug is usually pretty thorough. That is just adrenalin...

Last edited:

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
I carry a FF Colt 1911 45acp. It's said that it shouldn't be comfortable; but comforting. It's also said that shooting twice is silly.. I would have to agree with both.

I believe that when you carry concealed that you should go through the classes just to learn the laws that will affect you should you have to pull or use your weapon. Another reason is to gauge the attitude of the local LEOs.

One of the items brought up in the classes taught around here is that if you carry too small of a caliber the lawyers will have a hayday with it because you were looking to "punish" someone. The same with a larger magnum; that you were looking to be the next dirty Harry.

While I'm not worried about my own reaction or my ability to control my weapons; one thing I have a great fear of is the ability of lawyers. And so should each of you.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What this boils down to is......if you pull that weapon and shoot someone whether it be mame or kill, you will be the one wearing the handcuffs and in custody until it is all sorted out. Plain and simple

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
so when the mugger asks me for my wallet and i pump 6 rounds of .38 in his direction....he will what, laugh and say "that tickles?" i've seen someone get shot with a .32acp. 3 rounds, center mass. they were wearing a hoodie. they were stopped in their tracks. they were still alive, but, under threat of being shot again, chose to stay down and wait for the ambulance. a .32, .25, .38 will never be able to hold a candle to a .357, .44 or .45, but they are still effective. again, think about what has already been said here, when, has anyone ever wanted to get shot by anything?
You state ONE scenario among thousands possible. Most cops cannot hit the broadside of a barn with adrenalin pumping and they've had all sorts of training. Lots of YouTube video from dash cams to support this.
Believing anyone can shoot 'center mass' in every situation is just laughable and most shootings that are not home invasion have to do with drugs.

Elephants have been shot and killed by 22 rimfire, but I'm not going elephant hunting with a 22!

Another important consideration is muzzle flash so just about all the magnum calibers are out for serious carry. The .45 ACP is King once again.

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Another important consideration is muzzle flash so just about all the magnum calibers are out for serious carry. The .45 ACP is King once again.
What does muzzle flash have to do with anything? With the type of thinking that you and a few others share, why not just carry a .50AE? If bigger is better and you don't want a magnum, then a .50AE shits all over a .45ACP. It's not suppose to be comfortable but comforting right? A 11" pistol that weighs 5lbs doesn't sound like it would be all that difficult to carry...

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You state ONE scenario among thousands possible. Most cops cannot hit the broadside of a barn with adrenalin pumping and they've had all sorts of training. Lots of YouTube video from dash cams to support this.
Believing anyone can shoot 'center mass' in every situation is just laughable and most shootings that are not home invasion have to do with drugs.

Elephants have been shot and killed by 22 rimfire, but I'm not going elephant hunting with a 22!

Those Youtube videos are there for a reason. They aren't training videos. They are leaked video that never should have been there, cause some other person with a chip on their shoulder are looking for a reason to sue. Other videos of cops that are on youtube are from worthless people who are looking for a quick dime and are trying to prove corruption.
What do you consider center mass? You do realize that center mass is any mass that is in clear veiw of the pursuer, not just the center of the chest? If someone is sticking there head from around a corner then the nose is center mass. Same for any other part of the body situation permitting. Get the concept?
I train every year and I will be the first to tell you that I do not shoot center mass everytime. However it is not as you say "laughable". It is the difference between life and death. I am trained to shoot to kill and keep the public "you" safe.
I can argue the point about caliber all day long but I will not. I carry a 9mm you prefer a 45. That is fine. When it is all said and done I will have several holes as you may have 1. It doesn't matter...like I said in an earlier post it is all about intimidation and making your opponent think that you do know what you are doing with the weapon that you are pointing at them! Muzzle flash has nothing cause in a situation are you really going to fire a warning shot first?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual

Muzzle flash is also dependent on the powder used, my 700ft/lb 10mm Auto loads using AA#9 have almost no perceivable muzzle flash and pack quite a bit more punch than a .45acp.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
...I have seen deer run several hundred yards with virtually no heart... through and through (of the heart) with a 12ga slug is usually pretty thorough. That is just adrenalin...
Exactly! I have seen a North Vietnamese troop with his head shot off at the neck run 50 yards before falling.

But...I'd like everyone to think about where that bullet will go if you the "miss" the assailant. Even in war, you don't want innocent civilians killed by stray bullets--much less on the streets of America. As for caliber...I now think about using the smallest caliber that has the LARGEST capacity of rounds....the bullets are verrry cheap...and with practice--you can get verrrry verrry good with a .22

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Right now i have a Sig Sauer P6 9MM and a 1911 Gvmt model in .45 the sig is a bit smaller and more easy to tuck away. I do carry both though. I would not be afraid to carry any caliber as long as the ammo was of good quality and the gun was in proper working order.

I dont give a rats ass that .45 is bigger then 9mm if the rounds are shitty and I have to "tap rack and bang" every 3rd round in the magazine an such.

If the gun does not stop the threat an is run dry il crack the guy over the head with it if I have too to do what needs to be done to stop the threat to myself and then per laws here i have a duty to render aid if possible and safe to do so, IE if i shoot the guy trying to rob me i must attempt to get aid to him(pretty much getting the police and ems coming will suffice)

88ranger89camaro

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I own a 22 x3, 25, 32, 38special x2, 9mm luger, 357mag, 44, and 45/410 pistol and I carry the 25 or 38 because I can hide it anywhere, 22 or 45 its all going to shot you and hurt you just some more than other, I see no reason to carry one of my cannons, that just showboating IMO and also my "cannons" are all more expensive guns and the 9 is rare and old and they are just safer locked up at home.

Luckly my state is politicaly right with our self defense laws

You can call me sick but my favorite news stories are what I call dead right there, when someone goes to rob/rape/hurt a citizen and they shot them dead right there. My dad was a cop, and I was tought how to protect myself and my property.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What this boils down to is......if you pull that weapon and shoot someone whether it be mame or kill, you will be the one wearing the handcuffs and in custody until it is all sorted out. Plain and simple

I disagree. I'm not sure where you receive your LEO training, but I know you were not trained to shoot someone with the intent to maim, or kill. There are no CCW classes that train someone to shoot to maim, or to kill either.

You use your firearm to stop the threat. That's it, and that's all. The threat you perceive ultimately dictates how many rounds are fired. How you articulate the incident afterward to those asking the questions ultimately determines whether you get to go home, or to jail.

At least that's how it is here in the good 'ol Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Ya'll have a good night :)

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
I am trained to shoot to kill and keep the public "you" safe.
And 'you' fail too many times and that is why nearly all states offer some sort of concealed carry.

Even though I live in Illinois with it's bad reputation for gun control, law enforcement and prosecutors rarely bring charges against a homeowner that protects himself with a firearm. Recently one had his car broken in to and shot and killed the guy. There was no personal threat, but the cops did not charge the homeowner.

...And your training is deficient if you don't know how muzzle flash can ruin your night vision....and there is nothing wrong with the 9MM for personal defense but a +P load will have more muzzle flash than a 45ACP in a 5" barrel....I could elaborate ad nausem..LOL...

Could argue the finer points of what is defined as "center mass" but to quote an expert..."Shoot'em in the big part...then shoot'em again!" If they taught you any other way you took lessons from an idiot.

And when you are out of breath and the adrenalin is pumping I'll bet you a box of ammo you couldn't hit the broadside of a barn! :shok:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I disagree. I'm not sure where you receive your LEO training, but I know you were not trained to shoot someone with the intent to maim, or kill. There are no CCW classes that train someone to shoot to maim, or to kill either.

You use your firearm to stop the threat. That's it, and that's all. The threat you perceive ultimately dictates how many rounds are fired. How you articulate the incident afterward to those asking the questions ultimately determines whether you get to go home, or to jail.

At least that's how it is here in the good 'ol Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Ya'll have a good night :)
Guess I should have reread what I typed before I hit the post button.

What it was meant to say is.....If you shoot someone and you maim or kill them then you will be the one in cuffs until it is sorted out.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Could argue the finer points of what is defined as "center mass" but to quote an expert..."Shoot'em in the big part...then shoot'em again!" If they taught you any other way you took lessons from an idiot.
If all you can see is the head then that IS the biggest part of the body that you can see, so aim for the center. It isn't that hard to figure out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals