• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Computer. Which one should I have??

Bill in Arizona

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ranger 4 x
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
We are men of action, words do not become us
I have an 1986 ranger STX 4 x 4 with an auto trans, 2.9 . My computer has failed,I need to purchase a new one. The one in my truck says REMAN on it. The part number indicates it is from a different truck. The guy I bought the truck from shopped at junk yards. The truck ran poorly. I can not find which part number goes in it. Any help will be appreciated. At the auto parts, they say it could be anyone of 4 different part numbers. I don't see any info any where to indicate. Please help,,,

militarydave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Check the Kragen Auto Parts website - My computer fried as well and I found out it was CA emissions. so I had to order a reman ECU/ECM from them. they have like a $80 core - but you can mail that in.

otherwise, i guess see a ford house and see what they tell ya?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
86-87 should work, you can rid of the EGR system swapping to an 88+.

Bill in Arizona

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ranger 4 x
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
They gave 6 different choices ( part numbers), I just don't know which to select. If I get one for an 88 it will work? Which par number? I have an automatic and a four wheel drive with a 2.9

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just as long as it's a federal emission computer for an automatic transmission.

Rock auto has computers also, that's the only thing I can reference is an aftermarket part #, but they list what application the computer is for.

Junk yard may have one for a decent price, they should know what you need from just knowing you have a 2.9L w/ auto trans. I got my '90 MAF PCM for my '88 from a junk yard mailed to me and it worked fine for several years.

4WD don't matter, nor does that it's an STX model. Only the fed/cali emission and transmission. '88 computer may require some small modification to make it completely 'kosher', but some have reported that the ECM had no ill effects.

The '90 MAF computer was REAL close to my '88, think the MAF conversion pin out in the tech library should give you a general idea minus the mass-air stuff (since it's based on an '87 model). Always a good idea to run through the pins as a sanity check to make sure nothing gets short circuited.

Bill in Arizona

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ranger 4 x
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thanks Pete, I found an 88 auto trans fed 4 x4 on ebay, bought it. I will let you know how it works out, think I paid 35 for it. It is a guaranteed part. I will test it the day it comes in , just in case it is DOA.

Hope it solves my problem. I need to get on with this project.... Been thinking " wow , I coulda had a V8!" for all the time I have wasted.

Bill in Arizona

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ranger 4 x
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
The "pipe" between my EGR and exhaust manifold is blocked off. Think it has been that way for years and years.... So I took your advice and got the '88. Thanks again Pete.

Bill in Arizona

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ranger 4 x
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Changed it ,, that is all it was. Thanks for your help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals