• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

computer is sucky, help me fix it please.

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
It is NOT illegal to download a copy of Windows as long as you have the Blue/Green Windows sticker with your serial number

My computer teacher informed me of that, so download away, as long as you have the little Windows sticker it is not illegal
Correct sir.

smokey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
what model compaq is it? Many of the compaq and Hp have a hidden partition on the HD that is called the recovery partition in has the OS on it there.
if Not you can get the compaq cd's fro0m compaq for about 20 dollars.
Some of the compaqs had a utility that allows you to create the windows recovery disk set it can be found in the tools folder under accessories.

pud

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok I have a Recovery partition drive, I found in "my computer"... does this help any?

smokey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
What model is the compaq and I can give you instructions or just go to the compaq/hp site search your model and it will give you instructions to recover it.

smokey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
it should be a presario XXXX that is the numbers needed to get the correct instructions

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
IF this is a Compaq, it likely has a restore partition in the harddrive. unless you already reformatted the harddrive and nuked this partition, it should have everything on it to restore it to "out of the box" condition.

explore that drive (it is likely the "D:\" drive and find an executeable that will put your computer into the restore mode.

AJ

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Sorry, I keep forgetting that Compaq and others have preinstalled OS from an OEM disk...but you can get around that if you really want too...I put Win2K on a Compaq computer and everything was there except a driver for the Ethernet...and I got around that by just installing a PCI card...

pud

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ooooh! sweeet its Sooooooo fast now!
I just clicked F10 while the system was booting up..and it took me to recovery mode. I guess I wouldve noticed that if I ever shut it off before.

So now does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do to keep my computer good from now on? I would be more specific, but thats about as comprehensive as I can get lol.

IamMonsterMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Scan for viruses and all that other nasty stuff often. Clean the registry, Disk Cleanup, and Defragment every once in a while and you should be all set

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Soooooo...what was wrong with it???? Did you just reboot it and it worked better or did you reinstall the OS?

As for keeping a computer clean...the above suggestions would help...I always recommend putting data on a separate drive if possible...like personal files, music, and all that stuff so it doesn't clutter up the drive that the OS is on...but depending on how big your drive is...

Partitioning drives also helps...and that can be done easy enough with free software...but it's best done before you reinstall the OS...oh, and get more RAM if you havne't done that already...

smokey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
AVG antivirus, malwarebytes, ccleaner, comodo firewall spywareblaster all are good programs to keep your system clean and running well.

pud

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
k well when i start having problems again Ill dig this thread back up hah.

Mark_88 when the comp is loading up.. like after a restart, it has an option to run system recovery and tells you to hit F10 if want to do so. Took 15 minutes, wiped out everything and shes back to new. Except I forgot a couple programs I needed that got erased...like my printer and camera programs...but no big loss. My desktop background even works now!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
k well when i start having problems again Ill dig this thread back up hah.

Mark_88 when the comp is loading up.. like after a restart, it has an option to run system recovery and tells you to hit F10 if want to do so. Took 15 minutes, wiped out everything and shes back to new. Except I forgot a couple programs I needed that got erased...like my printer and camera programs...but no big loss. My desktop background even works now!
Ah, cool...thanks for the update...I always like to know how these things turn out...and what the fix was...just for interest sake...:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals