• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Computer build... input needed!!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
One thing I don't like about manufactured PC's is that you can't get EXACTLY what you want... I'd like to upgrade from my current Dell's 512 MB of RAM to 1GB or better, but being that it only has two slots I would have to buy two separate sticks of RAM instead of just adding to it... I built a computer a good few years before I bought my current Dell and it had 4 RAM slots... I put in one stick of 512 MB RAM and ran it like that, leaving the other 3 open for easy (and cheaper) upgrade...
I can understand that. There are absolutely times when a homebuilt pc is more appropriate. My current desktop at the house is one I built three years ago. It's just not anywhere near the cost savings for a basic build as some people think. Unless you're building a performance system or have specific requirements that are hard to duplicate from an OEM, the cost difference is a wash.

Not sure which memory type you've got, but you may be able to buy a single 1GB stick and run it by itself. Some types of memory require matched pairs.

Last edited:

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I can understand that. There are absolutely times when a homebuilt pc is more appropriate. My current desktop at the house is one I built three years ago. It's just not anywhere near the cost savings for a basic build as some people think. Unless you're building a performance system or have specific requirements that are hard to duplicate from an OEM, the cost difference is a wash.

Not sure which memory type you've got, but you may be able to buy a single 1GB stick and run it by itself. Some types of memory require matched pairs.
I don't even remember what it has now... I just said screw it and I'm planning on building me a new one this winter... I need a pretty hardcore machine (photo/video/music editing) and it would probably cost more to upgrade this one than build a new one...

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

Initial cost savings yes, but remember you get what you pay for. If you spend the money up front, a home built PC will last you much longer than a factory built PC.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Ugh. If you're going to state something like that, at least take the time to explain your case.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ugh. If you're going to state something like that, at least take the time to explain your case.
Simple economics, You get what you pay for. If you buy a $300 PC, then you get a cheap PC.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
So other than 'it stands to reason', you have NOTHING to explain what's actually the problem with a manufactured computer?

Again, I've made it very clear that there are times to make one. However, you've stated that you'd save up to 75% by making one yourself. Absolutely not true. Your new version is that you may not save any money at all on the front end, but that you're basically bound to save money somewhere, you just can't figure out where...

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You go to Dell or any other manufactured PC and have it built to the specs of my current PC and I guarantee you that it will be at least 2x as much as I paid for it.

You buy a $300 Dell PC and what do you get? You get basic, entry level, cheap parts. You get a case that has POOR air flow causing parts to over heat and become caked up with dust.

I have had my fare share of cheap off the shelf and factory built PC's. Their parts are no where near the quality of one you will build yourself for much less.

You have not made any points as to why a manufactured (Dell, etc.) PC is better than a custom built PC.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I have NEVER claimed that it is better than a custom built pc when you have a need for custom parts. You don't seem able to grasp that. There are absolutely times when you might need that if you're building a pc to do a specific task, be it intensive video editing, etc.

You do not need to go through that for an average day to day use computer. It gains you nothing. If you build a $300 pc at home from start to finish including case, drives, board, cpu, software licenses, etc you're spending a number of hours ordering and assembling components and ending up with a product at roughly the same cost but no higher quality. Unless you're planning to pirate the software, you're just wasting time.

I've had my share of crappy OEM pc's. There are certainly brands out there that I'd stay far away from, Compaq and HP currently ranking highly. I've also spent the last nine years supporting Dells directly at the office, as well as doing side work on everything else. Nobody's perfect, but it's silly to waste your time building a machine that does the tasks most people need them to do - basic Office productivity, web browsing, etc...

Unless you're stuck on bling factor (which I don't give a #$@$ about on cars, computers, or anywhere else), the home built market makes sense for purpose built machines, not basic ones.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You can get cases that are plain as day for a custom PC. Not all cases have any "bling" to them. Majority of the cases you think are "bling" cases are actually there for a reason.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Yes, you can get plain cheap cases. And that's what you will get when you make a $300 computer yourself. No different than what you'd get from an OEM.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to convey. I do UNDERSTAND about building computers. You keep responding to me as if I have no idea what I'm talking about, as if you're talking to an upstart high schooler. We have different perspectives on this, and I've justified my side as well as I possibly can.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In my personal experience (I'm a newbie, I bought my first PC in 1995 with Windows 3.1 on it--a Packard Bell Legend, and it has XP on it now and still surfs the net!) I have seen the inside of a lot of computers--including self assembled things. For the average user get a store-bought one, no doubt. You don't want to be screwing around trying to get that obscure driver. And get one with a restore disk. And software. I can't live without Office. It costs more than an assembled computer.

I'm all for the advanced person assembling their machine. But that person will not end up with a cheap machine because he knows that cheap shit doesn't work. If I built a $300 machine, it would not be one that I would want. I just bought an electric planer today (my arms were getting tired) for $105 because the $62 one had a few small issues with it I didn't prefer. Both would do the job, and I wouldn't recommend anyone buy the more expensive one--but for my own use, I have preferences.

I could not build a machine for $300 because I hate wasting my time with things that suck.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I have to agree with everyone here...

I have built a few computers and have seen others buy the off the shelf stuff and been happy with it (and vice versa)...but to buy a machine like the ones posted on here and have someone else make them to spec can be quite a bit more expensive than building one yourself...

But lets not forget the OPs situation...it is for his parents...they are not computer geeks...and even though they may not get the cpu to work up a sweat it's good to have a bit more on a machine than to upgrade your needs before having the resources there already...especially since it appears he has an option to get it back later...

If it were me...I'd buy off the shelf and try to get the deal upgraded by the vendor if you see parts that are less desireable in the deal...you get a warranty and you get some freebee software in most cases...

I was planning to do quite a bit of building for others at one point...and so far it's just not feasible for me to build clones that can be bought for the same or less than stock...specialty machines may be worth the effort though...and I think that is where this is getting a bit muddled...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals