• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

compatible spindles

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My 1996 ranger has a bad spindle. They cannot be purchased at part stores. I'm looking into picking up a 1994 explorer to use the parts from it. I have front ABS, so I know I need those specifically, but are there differences between manual and auto hubs? Any other things to watch out for while parts truck shopping? Any suggestions on other routes to take?

Thanks for your time!

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The hubs need different parts on the inside basically from what I read is it run's a different spindle nut.The dana 35 interchanges pretty well.

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Follow up.

I was going to buy a whole 1994 explorer for parts and a project later on, but it was too far gone for me to be able to do much with it once I got to looking at it. Turns out it had a manual hub (one was missing), even though it was push button 4x4. I ended up pulling the spindle in the guys driveway and it looked identical to mine, minus the ware. The spindle nut was a bit thinner than the one off my ranger though. I was hoping to replace mine since the little nipple is almost wore off. I reused my thicker one. It also had the thick splined washer instead of what I have, a plastic spacer between two thin washers, one being splined. So I used the thicker washer instead as one of my small splined washer is busted.

I replaced everything from the spindle up, minus the calipers and hubs. I think I may have squeezed one of the caliper pistons in to far and blew the seal, so I'll be replacing one of those tonight. I even picked up the o-rings for the hubs this time, so everything should be sealed up good.

Drove about 50 miles last night as a test, and then a 100 mile trip to work this morning. Everything is nice and smooth so far. There is a soft metallic rubbing noise on the passenger side at low speeds, but i think I may have bent the shield to where it's rubbing on the disc a bit.

So other than realizing this morning that I forgot to clean the new bearings before packing them, I think it went pretty good.

ecablarn

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
302 V8, Mild Frame off Restoration still have bodywork
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Leveling 2" Lift
Tire Size
31x10.5xR15
My credo
BSME, design, drawing
The TRS fab and offroad shop has new spindles for the D35, abs and non-abs (under the dana 35 replacement parts). And they have the auto to manual hub conversion kits as well. Broncograveyard.com has them and more as well, just for future reference. But you should be good to go now as you mentioned.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals