• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

compaq restore disk.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My mom has a compaq presario sr1000 that she has been getting a imminent hard drive failure warning on boot up. She followed the procedure for making the restore disks, but when i went to use them, the 2nd disk was no good. It only allows you to make 1 copy. I called compaq to have them send her a new one, but they say it's too old, and dont have any. She is running xp but i dont know if it's home or pro. Any ideas on how to get restore disks? I know she cant afford a new comp. or new OS. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I have a copy of XP pro can i use her key with that disk by chance?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Edit: I have a copy of XP pro can i use her key with that disk by chance?
If hers is Professional, yes. I would bet the ranch that it has Home though. It usually states the version on the authenticity sticker. I have a Compaq home disk I have used for several installs... on Dell computers even. It should be fairly easy to round one up (an OEM disc).

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
STOP using your compaq, and clone its HDD ASAP. Do this BEFORE it fails.
When HDD failure happens, it's usually sudden and fatal.

Since your computer is still running fine, then your best bet is to ignore those silly re-install discs, and instead buy a new HDD, then make a bootable bit-for-bit copy of your existing HDD onto the new one. I've done cloning MANY times, and didn't need to reinstall anything. It's also a good way to expand your HDD capacity at the same time. It's also great for making a backup of your entire HDD contents (eg, another spare).

Step 1: buy a new HDD
Step 2: Power off, and attach your new HDD into your computer. Best to use the spare socket inside your computer, but otherwise you can use any external HDD enclosure that attaches via USB. Internal one has much faster copy speed.
Step 3: download & run a special program that clones your old HDD contents onto the new HDD. See added info below.
Step 4: Power off, and plug your new HDD in place of the old one.

That's it! Your computer will run exactly as before. Your new HDD is an exact copy of the old one, plus it has extra unused space (new is usually much bigger than old).

There are many freebie HDD cloning programs available from HDD manufacturers. Most (all?) of them insist (& verify) that you have THEIR brand of HDD attached somewhere on your computer (either inside or inside an external enclosure). Eg, My favorite is MaxBlast3, by Maxtor. Another is Acronis TrueImage, by Seagate. Another is Clonezilla (not from manuf). Youtube has how-to videos, if you need. The CD containing cloning S/W is sometimes inside the retail package with your new HDD.

The cloning program is OFFLINE, meaning that it's on a separately bootable CD, and NOT running within Windows. You reboot using the cloning CD instead of booting Windows, and it walks you thru the process. It's all automatic, and you simply choose the SOURCE and DESTINATION Hard Disc Drives (HDD) with your mouse.

Lastly, if your HDD is failing, then all downloads & burning of your cloning CD (if any) should be done on ANOTHER computer. Your failing HDD should be OFF, and spun up only when you're ready to clone it.

BTW, cloning avoids having to deal with Windows (& other) license keys. Whatever was on the old HDD is on the new, in SAME form (eg, O/S, your photos, files, etc. remain as-is). So no need to reinstall anything, at all. OTOH, recovery discs to reinstall Windows will force you to reinstall everything from scratch (total PITA).

Last edited:

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info. Turns out she has xp home media center 2005 edition. I'm not real sure what route i'm going to take yet. She has had other issues with the computer lately.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Thanks for the info. Turns out she has xp home media center 2005 edition. I'm not real sure what route i'm going to take yet. She has had other issues with the computer lately.
Hardware or software issues?

Sent from my Quad Core Acer A210

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an old OEM Dell XP disc from an ancient Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 machine. XP Home 2002 edition.

Despite dire warnings on the front of the disc to ONLY install on DELL systems, I have, over the years, sucessfully installed it on probably a dozen different computers, some Dell, some IBM, a Compaq, and a homebuilt rig from parts. It always worked.

The only thing I had to do is round up a few device drivers using a different PC and install them using removable media or a USB stick, but the OS itself always worked great.

Search Ebay, maybe you can find one, and see if it will work for you.

If all else fails, PM me, and maybe I could burn you a copy and mail it off, see if that works (with a new HDD of course).

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have saved in my extensive archives, an ISO for the 2005 Media Center Edition of Windows XP from a "system builder" Disc.

I can burn you a copy and mail it to you.
I can also send the ISO as "Data" on another disc so you can make your own:)

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the offers, but it turns out my niece had a disc i could use.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals