• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Common Oil Leaks For Rangers

ddmiddle7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys. I just bought my first truck a few days ago and I got a '95 Ranger XLT. It has a slight oil leak and I am wondering what some common things to check for. I don't know much about mechanics, but I want to learn. I am so glad I found this forum site. I have only had it three days and have a list of forums to read and start some projects.

Any ideas on common oil leaking problems, and also where to find them in the engine would be great.

Thanks in advance!!

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oil pan.

Mine loses about a half quart every time I drive 60 miles or so. And slowly loses it while I sit (thicker).

ddmiddle7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the leak is right in the center near the back of the engine, i don't know anything really about engines but have some friends who do, just wanting to get a list of things to check.

thanks

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Valve Cover Gasket

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
^ +1 Put a socket on them (think they're 8mm) and just check that they're snug. Mine had loosened, and tightening them significantly reduced the engine's oil leakage.

aj23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 ford range
Transmission
Manual
the transmission in rangers are known to leak after a lil while check that

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
the seal housing, oil pan, and valve cover are the main things I've ran across, with all of them if you tighten them up it will reduce the leak almost completely.

the things that are somewhat more difficult are the front and rear seal.

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe rear main seal? Its between Engine and Transmission.

tbphanzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Rear main seal sounds like it might be it too. pretty sure my 89 is leaking from the same spot. my pop says its rear main seal and the leak sound like same spot yours is from. other then that i'd go with the other guys advice.

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced my Rear Main Seal when I replaced the clutch, even though it didnt need it. Now I need to replace the Front Main Seal. Its located close to the timming belt area, accordindg to mechanic. My truck is all splattered from under because of that little seal. When its leaking it makes a oil path from the front towards the tranny, i thought it was the oil pan gasket, but I pressure washed every thing under the truck to see were it started to leak... And found out its coming from the timming belt cover area and thats where the front seal is. Hope I made sense.

E4Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
sounds good- ya need to take the cover off and see exactly where. could be front seal,most likely, or the cam seal. fyi-when ya tightening any bolts like suggested above, be sure not to tighten too much. this can make matters worst and warp parts(from experience), use a torque wrench when able and go by torque specs.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
on oil pans and valve covers use a nut driver, as hard as you can tighten with one will be about the right torque for those bolts... just a little tidbit...

Live Aloha 50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
I have 2002 Mazda B2300 - Aka Ford Ranger - Front Main Seal was my problem... what a mess - Easy seal - $7 seal - but it's major - major - major - job to fix...

The front seal is located behind the main pulley - getting it off is a drag - why? It wouldn't be so bad to take out the radiator - but then the Radiator Air conditioner is still in the way - or in other words - let's hope you have no AC and an oil leak... Otherwise - good luck getting that main pulley off...

Okay so let's say - after 2 days you do get the bolt off - without removing the AC radiator - you will notice "there is no notch on the inside the pulley..." WTF?

Yikes! By removing the main pulley - you just threw the engine out of time!!!

That's okay - all you have to do is remove everything from the valve cover up - without the valve cover on - gander at the cams - place an aluminum ruler to lock the cams - turn the pistons until - the number 1 piston in the TDC position - hold - go under the engine - screw in a special pin - rotate the drive shaft until it hits the pins - that dance means the cams and the drive shaft are now in sync - then put the pulley back on... valve cover...

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I have 2002 Mazda B2300 - Aka Ford Ranger - Front Main Seal was my problem... what a mess - Easy seal - $7 seal - but it's major - major - major - job to fix...

The front seal is located behind the main pulley - getting it off is a drag - why? It wouldn't be so bad to take out the radiator - but then the Radiator Air conditioner is still in the way - or in other words - let's hope you have no AC and an oil leak... Otherwise - good luck getting that main pulley off...

Okay so let's say - after 2 days you do get the bolt off - without removing the AC radiator - you will notice "there is no notch on the inside the pulley..." WTF?

Yikes! By removing the main pulley - you just threw the engine out of time!!!

That's okay - all you have to do is remove everything from the valve cover up - without the valve cover on - gander at the cams - place an aluminum ruler to lock the cams - turn the pistons until - the number 1 piston in the TDC position - hold - go under the engine - screw in a special pin - rotate the drive shaft until it hits the pins - that dance means the cams and the drive shaft are now in sync - then put the pulley back on... valve cover...
I hope he found some time to fix his oil leak in the past 10 years.

Your 2.3l is a totally different design... On the old 2.3/2.5 the crank pulley and timing gear are keyed. There's no worry about messing up the timing by removing the crank pulley.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Get the best 'rubber' cam cover gasket you can find. The 'cork' and 'cork/rubber' gaskets will not seal well, and my experience is that no matter how clean you get the cover and head, they won't work, will loosen and seep oil. The oil will/can leak out the back end, down the bell housing, and appear to be a rear main leak. Don't get fooled. Replace the cam cover gasket, clean the bell, and everything else, and drive a few K miles. Check. My pan gasket seems to be so leakproof that there's not enough oil to prevent slight corrosion.
Remember, the PCV system must work or you'll get pressure buildup in the crankcase which can force oil past the easiest leak spot.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals