• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

common brake fitting sizes

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I'm tired of constantly buying 3-4' pieces of brake lines and fittings and what not whenever I have a leaking brake line. Found a 25' roll of copper/zinc line with 16 fittings for $15. I just don't know what size threads are on a ranger. Anyone know what size threads these are for a 3/16" brake line? the kit comes with qty 10 of 3/8"x24, qty 2 of 7/16" x 24, qty 2 of 1/2"x20 and qty 2 of 9/16"x18. I'd hate to buy a kit and not be able to use a single fitting.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I want to know too.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
On the older trucks I believe the 3/8 fitting is common although there are some larger ones too in certain areas - at the master cylinder, ABS pump, and possibly a couple other places. I also want to say that there are metric fittings as well and they are more common on later model trucks.

It's very irritating. Best practice in my book is to try and reuse the fitting and replace just the line.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
When I redid the brake lines on the 1998, most of the fittings were easy enough to acquire at Advance Auto parts. The ones that threw me for a loop were the ones that connect the front section to the intermediate line that runs past the gas tank. I ended up reusing those when making new lines because no one had them. Thankfully, they were shielded enough that they were in decent shape and could be reused. Everything was replaced from the master cylinder or RABS module down to the wheels with the exception of the line that runs past the tank through the frame rail. I think Shran is right on the sizing but it has been 7-8 years since I did the job.

Last edited:

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think the common ones are 3/8x24 but I figured someone on here would know all the sizes. I'm just getting the kit either way. $16 for 25' of copper/nickel lines and 15 fittings. Hard to beat that price considering its about $1/ft locally just for the lines. I live in the rust belt so the chances of being able to reuse a fitting is very slim but I will keep that in mind. I replaced the front lines 2 years ago and they still look good but I broke a line on my new rear end the other day when I was cutting the shock off.. Now I need to get a decent double flaring tool... Too many bad reviews from the harbor freight one, but I found one on ebay that is a complete kit for the same price as HF and this one comes with a small pipe cutter and a burr remover which the HF does not come with.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Shran is pretty much spot on. There are a couple bastard sizes that you just aren't going to pick up at Advanced Auto... and it can very well be a mixed bag of standard/metric sizes. I did several trucks that I flipped years ago... everyone needed all new lines. The common fittings (standard/metric) I used new. The bastard ones... I cut the lines with side cutters... used a 6 point socket to remove... then bench grinder to remove the remaining line and a punch with some lube to drive the line out of the nut. Clean them up and reuse the fittings.

Also with the mixed bag standard/metric... you will have a mix of line flares also. I would just buy a decent double flare and a bubble flare tool... read the directions carefully... and practice on a chunk of your new line.

My understanding is that the NiCopp line is easier to work with too. I've never used it... but the next time I have to replace lines... I'm going to try it out.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like the old tools. Thinking everybody used to have a flare tool in their box. That's why my first stop is usually a pawn shop or flea market.
They made good tools then too, every bit as good as today's top grade. I just took a look at graingers' list of flare tools and a hundred dollar bill wouldn't touch one of em

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a few of the presses for the flare tools but not an actual kit. I was always the cheap ass who bought compression fittings and brake lines and said it was for a derby car lol. I've heard great things about nickel/copper lines and I've played with a spare piece and it bends as easy as 10-2 wiring lol. I like the thought of having brake lines at home ready to go. Being in the rust belt seems like every year one or two of my vehicles needs a brake line replaced due to rust. That will be another benefit is they wont rust out like steel. I'm sure they still corrode but can't be as bad as steel.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
This is the last kit I bought:

So far there have been a few fittings that I haven't used any, and the only ones I have found that are used on a Ranger that aren't in it are the screwy ones used in the ABS module.

This is my preferred line flaring tool:

It doesn't seem to grab real well into steel line, but I only use Ni-Copp and have no issues there.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
On the older trucks I believe the 3/8 fitting is common although there are some larger ones too in certain areas - at the master cylinder, ABS pump, and possibly a couple other places. I also want to say that there are metric fittings as well and they are more common on later model trucks.

It's very irritating. Best practice in my book is to try and reuse the fitting and replace just the line.
When redid the brake lines on the 1998, most of the fittings were easy enough to acquire at Advance Auto parts. The ones that threw me for a loop were the ones that connect the front section to the intermediate line that run past the gas tank. I ended up reusing those when making new lines because no one had them. Thankfully, they were shielded enough that they were in decent shape and could be reused.
^^^This. I couldn't reuse the metric bubble flair at the junction near the fuel filter so had to get a double to bubble adapter and used one of the 3/8 double flair fittings that came with the kit. Those fittings in the kit will do most of what you need.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals