• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Combating the winter elements

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Well I figured that it is that time of year again, and having a 2wd truck in the snow isn't fun. I know that people put weight in the bed of their trucks to give it more traction, but how much weight is needed?

If you guys have any other ideas let me know.

Thanks

P.S.- This is the first winter having this truck so I don't really know what to expect. haha

K.Strong

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
I've had two winters in my 2wd truck, neither time with any weight in the back. As long as you're easy on the gas you'll be OK.

Junkyardexpress

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
P235/R15
i think about 150lbs or so should do it a little weight is good to much can be bad

Last edited:

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I drove around with 160lbs frequently, just with my 4WD... planning on running about 300lbs this year....

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I load up between the wheel wells with a few blocks of granite from the old barn foundation. I figure they're good for almost 300 lbs.

I get a lot of flack about having solid weight in the bed. I used to run 40lb sand bags and I'll tell you, a frozen bag of sand is just as hard.

Use some scrap wood and make sure it's secured directly over the axle.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have noticed over the years up here the 2 wheelers run usually 2 to 4 sandbags and use it to get up and down slippery spots as needed.

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I have some cinderblocks in my garden that I was planning on tossing in there, they are about 75 pounds each

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oh by the way if you do like alot of people up here do get your sand thats mixed with sodium cloride (salt) or better yet magnesium cloride which is a less corrosive form so it dont freeze solid, but still keep a little beater to thump it with if you need it for traction for your tires.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I swear one of these times I'm going to type out a lengthy response and save it on my computer so I can just cut and paste when this comes up every year...

A lot depends on what winter conditions are in your area and what tires you run. When I was off at college, snowfall was measured by the foot instead of by the inch, the roads were plowed once a day whether they needed it or not, and they never salted anything. I tried different amounts of weight and different tires with varying results, but the bottom line was that during a good part of the winter up there, the only way my 2wd could get safely around was to run chains - preferably V-bars wrapped around some mud terrains (my lil 2wd Ranger was like a tank running like that, I could do circles around 4x4s).

For mud tires and other aggressive tires, they work great in deep powder, but they suck on hardpack and ice. Use a minimum of weight for deep snow conditions.

For "street" tires, good luck.

For AT tires and winter treads, I had good luck all around running about 200 lbs in the bed.

As far as weight goes....

I recommend AGAINST using solid objects or objects that can freeze (IE: tubesand, cinder blocks, rocks, scrap steel, etc). Think of what can happen if you end up in a wreck. Ever see what a solid object does to the bed of one of these trucks just by stopping suddenly in the summer time? I've seen a car battery cave in a tailgate just by someone jumping on the gas on a hill and the battery taking a run on the plastic bedliner from the front of the bed to the tailgate. I'd rather not end up with my "winter weight" on my lap if I end up in a wreck.

Since I use my bed on a regular basis, most "normal" methods of adding weight do not work all that well for me. For the past several years, my solution to the problem was to use bags of lead shot (for shotgun reloading, I picked some up cheap at a garage sale). In my Ranger I had my bed covered all winter, so the bags stayed dry. At 25 lbs each, they were nice and heavy, but didn't take up much room, and didn't hardly move even in a wreck (they tend to soak up energy instead of flying around). For my fullsize trucks, I put the weight in the toolboxes to keep it dry (although my F-150 is going to end up hauling around bags of salt this winter too because I intend on having a plow on the front).

Even 4x4 trucks can benefit by having some weight in the back, my F-150 does substantially better with around 150 lbs extra in the bed during winter.

Good tires also help a lot. Even with weight in the bed of my F-150 the first winter I had it, I was using 4x4 a LOT. I couldn't even get out of my relatively flat driveway without locking the hubs in and throwing it in 4-hi. Of course, it also had cheapie street tires on it. Halfway through winter I got my hands on enough green and bought a set of aggressive AT tires and suddenly I was able to go all over the place in 2wd.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i run about 200-300 pounds depending on conditions, i have specific tires/wheels for winter, steel wheels with a generic a/t tire marketed by pep boys called the dakota futura, they closely resemble the bfg a/t t/a. if theres snow on the ground i keep the hubs locked in and use 4wd as needed, i always "check things out" in 2wd before going to 4wd. the biggest thing to keep in mind is that "going forward" traction is only part of the winter driving issues, getting stopped is the other. too much total weight can cause you to slide more than if you were just at factory stock unladen weight. my winter weights consist of a sand-filled 3/4 ton spare tire, strapped in a way that centers it between the wheel wells, and if i need more weight, i have a couple of case tractor front-end weights that i can put between my sand-filled tire & the bed floor.

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I have the stock Goodyears that were on it from the factory, so that's bad, but I don't have any money to buy new tires.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have the stock Goodyears that were on it from the factory, so that's bad, but I don't have any money to buy new tires.
You can always keep an eye out for someone selling a set of used tires and rims or check junkyards. I actually spent two days shoveling snow for a junkyard one year to get a set of rims and used tires so I'd have a better set of tires on the truck.

Oh, and IMHO, BFG AT tires suck on snow. I prefer a more aggressive tread pattern than that, the more aggressive patterns seem to perform better. My test when it comes to picking a tread is partly visual and if it passes that test, then I stick my fingers in between tread blocks. If I can get them in between the tread blocks to the bottom without a lot of force, then it's something I'll consider.

RatDog8o8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've run BFG A/Ts for years, with no snow issues, on two different vehicles. But then, the size of the vehicles may have played a factor, too. The '79 F-150 ran 35s with a 6" lift, and the same wheel/tire combo is on the '78 CJ-7 with a 4" lift. Kept the F-150's dual tanks full as possible to add weight, plus a full tool-box, and the spare in the back.

The CJ has the bumpers and tire-rack, the full ammo-box of tools, and I keep the fuel topped off for the weight.

The Ranger got around great last winter with the PA-100s. The tool-box is full, of course....and the tank stays topped off as much as possible. But I had no issues at all with the truck. No sand-tubes, nothing rattling around in the bed. I did let the snow pile up in it, though......quite a bit from the driveway and snowfall. That helped add some weight.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've run BFG A/T KOs on my Ranger for the last few winters, which have been nasty. Not a single complaint. Liked them enough to guy buy another set when I got the B2.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals