• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Colombia 2011

schanusa

November '08 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My Colombia Trip Report (Feb/2011)

This will be more of a journal account of my trip with a more in depth view of what I experienced and thought while on my trip.

This past year I've found my self amidst a round the world trip that really hasn't gone any where yet. With my truck without a motor I tossed in the towel of headaches and the grind and booked a last minute flight. I was off to Colombia to try a different kind of adventure. Hopscotching across airports I finally found myself on a plane bound for the Colombian capital Bogota. On the overnight flight I could barely sleep. Though I was the only passenger in my row, so I got what some people call a "ghetto upgrade." Tossing and turning, in and out of sleep, I gave up the attempt and sat up. Then it was announced we were descending. In my delusional state I peered out the tiny window watching as rolling splotches of light and silhouettes of mountains passed by. Lurching forward as the the plane lands I'm jolted from my pseudo consciousness.

Remembering I was given an immigration form, I dig in my bag for a pen and complete the form. Disembarking we are sent down a walkway to baggage claim then customs. The process was very easy, especially since it was 1 am local time and no one was really coherent. Quick smacks of stamps in our passports and we're all on our way. I wandered around a bit then found the check in desk by accident. Its in a slight hidden spot, though signs in Spanish and English were very helpful. Bags check in and sent in a new direction. Stumbling around trying to make sense of everything I finally asked a security guard where the gate I should go to was. I showed her my ticket. She waived for me to follow her. Out the doors a ways she stopped and pointed. Then with a few "turn" signals with her hands she explained where to go. Following the directions I end up at a familiar sight in US airports. A security check point. Very much the same, but you get to keep your shoes on. Passing security I make my way to my next flight to Barranquilla.

Five hour wait this time. While waiting I recognized one lady I had seen in Houston. We began trying to talk to each other in broken English and Spanish. Quite hilarious when this kind of meeting happens. I pulled out my trusty Lonely Planet Spanish book only to find half the word I wanted to translate weren't there. Back and fourth we went passing the book trying to figure out what one another was saying, knowing most was lost in translation. While conversing with her, I heard another voice but in English. There were two guys just in front of me watching the whole thing and getting a big kick out of it. Come to find out both of them are in the shipping business. First few hours in Colombia and I meet someone in shipping. Interesting.

----

I know you guys on this forum might not be use to the long drawn out trip reports, so here's a teezer from later in the trip.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Great pics........

give us time.......

we'll adjust to complete sentences with lots of adjectives..:icon_bounceblue:

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Incredible

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals