• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cologne main bearing shims

D Lenz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sterling
Transmission
Manual
Hello ... Having some difficulties putting a 2.8L back together. Have a reground crank and the bearings supplied came with a 2 part thrust bearing. This block needs a 6 piece thrust bearing. The journal for the the 6 piece is just about .050" too narrow to fit the 2 piece (ie slop). Is there a supplier for shims to make up the difference or should I just go ahead and find 6 piece bearing set, or make my own shims?
Thanks

Tim russell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Model a
Transmission
Automatic
So my block is a 74 and there are only 2 of the bearings that are trust the other 4 are standard. Did you get thicker bearings to compensate for the grind on the crank.

D Lenz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sterling
Transmission
Manual
This block (and I have 3 blocks which are all the same 1975 & 1976) has reliefs cut for the 6 piece bearings.
The gap on the 2x bearings is roughly .060". Since I could not find any off the shelf spacers or anyone who has run into this problem, I got some peel shim stock and plan to machine some spacers for both sides engine and journal to make up the difference.
I have not measured the 6x yet, however it looks like I could not use those on this crank.
I have included some pictures.

Attachments

Tim russell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Model a
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not sure. I know it took a while to find bearings for mine the engine builder said he had a set ran by the bearing manufacture if you go to kings bearings and go to the e catalog and type in the mb# off the bearing and it will show u the kit and some of the deminsions. The ones that came out of mine were mb431S1

D Lenz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sterling
Transmission
Manual
Thanks ... I looked into King and the only thing I could find was bearings for the later model Bronco II, etc. Nothing for the earlier models. Oh Well!

Tim russell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Model a
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have the #s off the bearings. Another thing I've found is to look up stuff over in the uk

D Lenz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sterling
Transmission
Manual
I have checked both Clevite 77 bearing sets I have 6x and 2x and both should fit fine except for the 2x having the gap I mentioned. The space is just about .058-.060. Since I have peel shims (.002 per sheet), I should be able to hit the gap perfectly. Thanks for your help.

D Lenz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sterling
Transmission
Manual
I think I finally solved the problem with the thrust bearing shims. I got a hold of some hardened stainless steel shim stock (.032" thick ... .002" tear-off) and made custom shims.
The measurements showed I was going to need .048" in shims (.024" on a side) but ended up with .044" (.022 on a side) which felt perfect when seating the bearings.
For what it is worth (and sharing the wealth?) I have included the drawing for those shims.
Enjoy!

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals