• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coleman Liquid Fuel

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tore into my 295 last night.

One kinda sad thing about Coleman lanterns in general, especially when you line them up is you can see generally each "new" model is mainly just the previous model made cheaper. They monkeyed around changing the fill cap and pump locations but generally they didn't really make anything better IMO. The only possible exception is I do like the air tube design of the K/295 better than the one in the J.

I can see the 295 is heavily based on my 220K, the air tube assembly is nearly identical. But the burner tubes are not removable.

Which is really freaking awesome when there is a dead asian beetle stuck in one of them.

With my K and every lantern older that I have the two air tubes have a hex bit on the end so you can unscrew the whole works from the manifold. With the older ones you can even replace the screens, like my 200A which was also full of bugs.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
They do seem to cheapen up as time went by. I certainly wouldn't kick out newer white gas appliances but they certainly aren't built the same.

One notable exception I'll make is the 425B and 425C stoves. I have seen a ton of them, even some really nice ones... for as old as they are (late 50's-early 60's) they sure look like a cheap sheet metal piece of crap. Never could bring myself to buy one.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I did something I have never needed to do before... I had to use a fire extinguisher, on my aluminum stove. I got it all cleaned out and figured I'd see if having a clean burner assembly helps it not flare up. Well, it did, MUCH worse than before. I had it inside my shop on the floor and the flame from the main burner started getting a little higher than I'm comfortable with so I shut it down, stepped back, and waited for it to burn out...well... it did not. About the time it was several feet tall I decided to blast it with the extinguisher. Kind of irritated that I have to clean out all that yellow powder now.

I'm guessing the valve on the tank is messed up. After it cooled down, I dumped probably a cup full of liquid fuel out of the burner tube... not cool. I swapped a valve from my 413E onto this tank and it runs perfectly. The search for parts begins.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Seems I remember my dad and an old single burner stove we used to heat the spearing shack with run wild like that. The shanty door went open and he pitched it out on the ice.

That could have been much worse... glad you got it under control... with just some clean up and not a fire truck.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Two more 502 stoves, a nice '65 and a beat up '73. Scored these on Facebook today for $30. I was a little skeptical about the '73 in particular, it looks like it got sat on and the burner bowl is really rusty. I dumped some fuel in them both, oiled the pump leathers, and they both fired right up!!! I let them both run for about an hour each boiling a pot of water, cooled them down and cleaned them up. They actually don't look too bad, the '65 is in real nice shape and the '73 just looks squished but works fine. I may keep that one in my camper for when I don't want to cook inside.

Pre cleanup test run:

Cleaned up:

You can see how the '73's burner assembly got squished down somehow. Even the fount has a big dent on the bottom edge. Oh well.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright, who got it? @Shran?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Alright, who got it? @Shran?

o_O not me!! That thing is awesome.

I got my aluminum stove fixed - ordered a new valve and generator from Old Coleman Parts. Works better than any other stove I have, new parts are real nice.

I think part of the pickup tube was missing - maybe that was the problem... I dunno.

Runs really well, boiled up some potatoes and made gravy on it last night.

I also ran the beater 502 stove a lot over the weekend to make coffee at camp. Worked flawlessly, I think it's a keeper.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Nothing as cool as @Shran has... but I fired my CL-2 and ran it for a couple hours today. Hopefully my new globe shows in the next couple days. This one is special to me I guess... I bought it new... dated 6/85. It has seen a few miles... some not so easy ones. Smelt dipping... sucker spearing... deer camps... and just camping in general. Also used it in an ice fishing shanty regularly for over twenty years. It's been sitting in the case since I broke the globe when the case come unlatched. There is a reason they call them the case of death. It runs pretty good... made me smile.

cl-2 lit.jpg

I'm not so sure what makes this fuel special... but I wanted the one quart container. I will just fill up my my lantern and stove before heading out with a spare quart of fuel... should last me a full week of camping.

fuel jug.jpg

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I have no idea how much fuel I need. I'll be camping 5 nights this coming week. Not 100% sure how many meals I'll cook. Tried to plan menus today so I can grocery shop tomorrow. I'll be working Monday afternoon and 12hrs Tuesday, then get on the road around 5:00am on Wednesday. So I have 2 of those quart containers that I filled today. I also filled the lantern and the stove tank. Might also bring the tiny bit thats left in the big square can. And 4 extra mantles for the lantern.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
They will run a pretty long time on a full tank. I think I would be surprised if you even had to refill the stove.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Lanterns sip fuel. 7-8 hours on a tank is about what I'd guess... stoves depend, I used about half a tank in my single burner to make coffee three days in a row (12 cup percolator.) Last time I had a two burner stove out I used about 1/4 tank over a weekend.

My observations are leading me to believe that CF is superior to propane in quite a few ways and it's cheaper.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A customer brought this in to show us the old guns available, me being curious I flipped to the sporting goods section:

They rarely go for that now...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
When my house was fitted with indoor plumbing sometime around 1920 they used crumpled magazines and newspapers to insulate the walls during the renovation. I tore out a wall about 10 years ago and started reading all the ads. Stuff like 5 cents for a theatre ticket, new cars for 400 bucks. I gotta see if I can find all that stuff. I saved it somewhere.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When my house was fitted with indoor plumbing sometime around 1920 they used crumpled magazines and newspapers to insulate the walls during the renovation. I tore out a wall about 10 years ago and started reading all the ads. Stuff like 5 cents for a theatre ticket, new cars for 400 bucks. I gotta see if I can find all that stuff. I saved it somewhere.
The 1901 one he also had was fascinating. In addition to a bunch of snake oil cures, buggies/wagons And weird decor they also had some cool guns. A “surplus” Springfield trapdoor was like $2. For a big spender you could upgrade to a Spencer repeater for an extra buck.

A new Winchester 30-30 was $11.55. Yeah I know a 1901 dollar isn’t the same as a 2020 dollar... but dang. Figure a new 30-30 is 800, the trapdoor would be under $200. That is cheaper than a mosin-nagant.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I know one of the ads was for a new model T for like $400 bucks... And that was "expensive" back then lol. Today $400 bucks doesn't even make one payment.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals