• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coleman Liquid Fuel

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That's profane. I mean propane. What a dirty word in a thread about nice clean white gas!

I have a couple of those too. You can (or could) get different sizes for the big 413 size stoves or the smaller ones. I thought it'd be kinda nice to have in combination with a hose to connect to a 20lb cylinder. I hear the burners and stuff in our stove are not designed for propane though so it doesn't burn efficiently or something and you go through a lot more of it than you normally would in an actual propane stove. I don't know how true that is.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's profane. I mean propane. What a dirty word in a thread about nice clean white gas!

I have a couple of those too. You can (or could) get different sizes for the big 413 size stoves or the smaller ones. I thought it'd be kinda nice to have in combination with a hose to connect to a 20lb cylinder. I hear the burners and stuff in our stove are not designed for propane though so it doesn't burn efficiently or something and you go through a lot more of it than you normally would in an actual propane stove. I don't know how true that is.
Never been around one. I read on a fb group over the summer that somebody took their converter apart and opened it up for either a 413 or 426.

For something to sit on a shelf until it is needed propane would probably be better. Nothing to stick valves or anything.

Actually kind of hard to find, I had to order it from Cabelas. No brick and mortar store had anything, not even Amazon had them.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Not Coleman, but I thought this would be a good place to share. I spent a bit of time today fiddling with some railroad lanterns and marker lamp that I inherited from my dad.

First up, the marker lamp. This would be mounted on the back of the caboose or last car on a passenger train. Mine is made by Handlan. No manufacturing date. No Railroad name, but probably came from the Lehigh Valley Railroad in northeast PA.

20210102_124340.jpg

20210102_124436.jpg

Next, a signal lantern made by Adlake. Model #250 kero. Would have been made in the 1920-1930's. Very clearly marked Lehigh Valley Railroad.

20210102_130553.jpg

Finally, another signal lantern. Model - Dietz Vesta. Manufactured 10-37. No Railroad name marked.
20210102_132552.jpg

The signal lanterns would have been used by conductors, brakemen and depot workers to signal engineers through common patterns of swinging them and using different colored globes.

My brother has a similar but different collection. We each took 3 from dad's collection. I also have a long spouted oil can with thumb valve from the Lehigh Valley RR and a brass hand torch.

Anybody else have railroad lanterns?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I don't have any... but I do know there is a collector following and some pieces bring a fair amount of money. I honestly think the globes are what brings the real money.

Really cool stuff... and make nice display pieces.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
It's all @85_Ranger4x4 's fault.

I already have arrangements to swap a cooler with him for a lantern. That's great and I look forward to it. But in the mean time, after I got my Facebook profile resolved and started figuring that out, he sent me an invitation to join a Coleman group. So I did. And I started seeing all kinds of neat stuff. And I started looking at stuff in marketplace. And next thing you know, I bought these this morning.

Paid $30 for the pair. I took some neetsfoot oil with me and oiled up the pump leathers and they both built pressure. The rust is very minor. I can't turn the little "turn up to light" thingy on one of them. But I should be able to fix that. A little TLC on each one and they should be good.

Now the kicker. Soon after I left the man's house, I stopped alongside the road. I picked up one lantern and wiped the bottom clean. The date was 11/74. Did the same on the other (the one with the ribbed side piece). It's date is 7/64. I "accidentally" bought my birthday lantern

Dang it, Justin.

20210121_114253.jpg

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Must be nice, I don't think they were making lanterns on my month (7-84)

I found a NIB 424 stove for $100 which was an easy pass but I have yet to see any lantern anywhere with that date.

I got my Ranger's birthday lantern (2-85) and I think that is about as good as I am going to get.

Crud gets built up in the generator and sticks the cleaning rod. You might be able to get it free or you might have to get a new generator ff that is what the problem is.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I've had the eccentric get stuck from fuel varnish, carbon and dirt... I'd take the valve assembly apart and soak it in vinegar. That usually makes a world of difference.

I haven't bought anything lately but I've kinda been watching this thing. Haven't committed yet... do I REALLY need it... I dunno. Apparently it's some sort of lantern for night fishing. With no globe to protect the mantles, I don't think they'd last long!

139467208_743395459889396_2632711014559280959_o.jpg
139416719_743394956556113_6559365947920489420_o.jpg

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have seen brackets for mounting a regular lantern on a boat but nothing like that.

With the big shield maybe there wouldn't be much wind?

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Maybe the aluminum backer acts as a reflector to use as a spot light.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
After doing some more research, it appears that it's definitely a reflector and these are used for flounder gigging. I guess you wade around in tide water areas at night and use this type of lantern to spot their eyeballs... then spear them. Definitely not something we can do here on the prairie. Guess I'll have to settle for other drinking sports like catfishing...sigh

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
@Dirtman You do much Flounder giggling?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It's all @85_Ranger4x4 's fault.

I already have arrangements to swap a cooler with him for a lantern. That's great and I look forward to it. But in the mean time, after I got my Facebook profile resolved and started figuring that out, he sent me an invitation to join a Coleman group. So I did. And I started seeing all kinds of neat stuff. And I started looking at stuff in marketplace. And next thing you know, I bought these this morning.

Paid $30 for the pair. I took some neetsfoot oil with me and oiled up the pump leathers and they both built pressure. The rust is very minor. I can't turn the little "turn up to light" thingy on one of them. But I should be able to fix that. A little TLC on each one and they should be good.

Now the kicker. Soon after I left the man's house, I stopped alongside the road. I picked up one lantern and wiped the bottom clean. The date was 11/74. Did the same on the other (the one with the ribbed side piece). It's date is 7/64. I "accidentally" bought my birthday lantern

Dang it, Justin.

View attachment 54532
You should go buy a few mega millions tickets... that is like crazy luck you have going today.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After doing some more research, it appears that it's definitely a reflector and these are used for flounder gigging. I guess you wade around in tide water areas at night and use this type of lantern to spot their eyeballs... then spear them. Definitely not something we can do here on the prairie. Guess I'll have to settle for other drinking sports like catfishing...sigh
I think you can do the same with frogs.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I had enough parts to get the birthday lantern cleaned and operating.

Yay!

20210121_170529.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals