• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cold start Can't find gear and Slipping gears

SideStepRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I Have a 99 ranger 2wd 3.0 with 285k miles. The transmission was replaced once before but mileage is unknown.
My transmission was shifting hard and I decided to replace the fluid and filter (yes l know it's not recommended at high mileage).

With new fluid it now shifts very smooth, but on a cold start I have to give it gas for it to get into drive or reverse. Also when cold it will slip out of drive and into neutral when driving.

Once warmed up there are no slipping issues. Any suggestions on what to check?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like it is a little low on fluid. When the fluid heats up it expands and that cures the being too low problem. Till it cools off and contracts. Look in the manual for the proper procedure to check the level. Usually it's warm the transmission up, and then check the level with the engine idling in park.

SideStepRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like it is a little low on fluid. When the fluid heats up it expands and that cures the being too low problem. Till it cools off and contracts. Look in the manual for the proper procedure to check the level. Usually it's warm the transmission up, and then check the level with the engine idling in park.
That's what I thought at first but I filled it up until it was over filled. Slipping was less when over filled but still there on a cold start.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Over filling is just as bad as not enough fluid. The fluid level in the bottom of the trans gets too high and gets into the rotating parts in the upper part of the trans. This whips the fluid until it's foamy, and that foamy fluid can mess the trans up also. Try to get it to the correct level. You can get a long piece of plastic tubing and insert it down the dipstick tube and suck some of it out. You can use a mity vac pump or you can make your own apparatus with a jar and using the vacuum from the engine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals