• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cold Air Intake - Would This Still Work?

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Don't quote me on this but I believe they are different because in 02+ they changed to a different style MAF sensor so it wouldn't work with a tube made for an older model.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rangers came with Cold Air Intakes on all fuel injected models since 1986

Its your hard earned money to spend, but IMO there are better ways to spend it than duplicating what you already have

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Rangers came with Cold Air Intakes on all fuel injected models since 1986

Its your hard earned money to spend, but IMO there are better ways to spend it than duplicating what you already have
I refrained from getting into that debate again. :ROFLMAO:

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Just get the K&N filter that fits your stock airbox.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I use to use K&N filters for the simple fact that I like that they were re-useable. Part of me always wanted to imagine they made more power too. HOWEVER I have since changed my mind on the issue for 3 reasons.

A. They don't filter as well as a quality paper filter. You can just just look at how much more material is in a motorcraft factory air filter. Paper filters are much thicker and have way more pleats for surface area.

B. If you oil them a touch too much or don't let them dry you can ruin your MAF sensor. That's human error and if done correctly they are fine, but still.

C. There's no performance gain over the factory filter and you can see that for yourself by just running a scanner from one filter to the other. MAP numbers don't change, fuel trims numbers change, MAF numbers don't change and you would see any measurable increase in airflow by reading that data.

So I stick with motorcraft filters now... My 2 cents on K&N filters... I'm still staying out of the CAI debate. :icon_rofl:

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
I use to use K&N filters for the simple fact that I like that they were re-useable. Part of me always wanted to imagine they made more power too. HOWEVER I have since changed my mind on the issue for 3 reasons.

A. They don't filter as well as a quality paper filter. You can just just look at how much more material is in a motorcraft factory air filter. Paper filters are much thicker and have way more pleats for surface area.

B. If you oil them a touch too much or don't let them dry you can ruin your MAF sensor. That's human error and if done correctly they are fine, but still.

C. There's no performance gain over the factory filter and you can see that for yourself by just running a scanner from one filter to the other. MAP numbers don't change, fuel trims numbers change, MAF numbers don't change and you would see any measurable increase in airflow by reading that data.

So I stick with motorcraft filters now... My 2 cents on K&N filters... I'm still staying out of the CAI debate. :icon_rofl:
My RV has a V10 (E450) and I was told the same thing as 'B' for the same CAI question, so I'm convinced. I've been running Fram filters since my muscle car days. Not sure MC would by me a whole lot more. Thanks for the feedback.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.

I use the K&N when I know I will be in dusty conditions, and/or to replace my regular filter until I get a new one when it needs to be replaced.

The oiling thing is true, gotta do it right. While there is no technical power gain, I can hear the K&N sucking air at WOT.

They filter fine, as long as its properly oiled. Air filter oil for dirt bikes is super sticky, those things suck air intensely.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Air Noise is caused by turbulence in the flow of the air, just roll down your window a bit at 60MPH to confirm :)
Porting and polishing is done to reduce turbulence of the air flow, so less turbulence is a good thing

Its cool to HEAR Intakes sucking in air, but it means there is turbulence in the air flow

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Air Noise is caused by turbulence in the flow of the air, just roll down your window a bit at 60MPH to confirm :)
Porting and polishing is done to reduce turbulence of the air flow, so less turbulence is a good thing

Its cool to HEAR Intakes sucking in air, but it means there is turbulence in the air flow
Which means you have more airflow...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, not really, lol, just more turbulence than before

Very few car makers restrict the air, or exhaust, they sell performance
Emissions is about efficiency not power
Back in the 70's and 80's engines were way less efficient so they HAD TO cut down power to lower emissions, this is no longer the case
Now they turn OFF the engines instead of idling and restart engine when its time to go, lol
And they are pulling ALOT more HP out of smaller engines these days, and not by restricting air flow :)

Last edited:

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
No, not really, lol, just more turbulence than before

Very few car makers restrict the air, or exhaust, they sell performance
Emissions is about efficiency not power
Back in the 70's and 80's engines were way less efficient so they HAD TO cut down power to lower emissions this is no longer the case
Now they turn OFF the engines instead of idling and restart engine when its time to go, lol
And they are pulling ALOT more HP out of smaller engines these days, and not by restricting air flow :)
Well, when i swapped in a k&n filter on my 97 3.0 it most definitely made a difference. I had already removed the little snorkel in the end of the airbox where it goes thru the fender. So i don't really hear any whooshing sound.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it happens, stock air systems do have failures and by passing them, vs repairing them, can get 95% of the power back :)

But joking aside there are some engine systems that can be improved on with after market air systems, dyno tests prove it, and K&N leads the way, it ain't much but ain't 0 either, so for sure an improvement
But if you can "hear" them it was most likely a backwards move for power

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals