• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coil spring vs torsion bar

Caprock Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 (3 trucks)
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
All three 3.0's
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
all 15", from 225/70 to 31x10.50
My credo
To each their own ____. If it's no skin off my butt, then I couldn't care less.
Wanting to buy another Ranger. In my search I've found a lot of Edge models with torsion bar suspension. Never been too keen on torsion bars, although I know how they work.
What I don't know is how the ride and handling compare. Would like your opinion?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I've never owned a torsion bar 2WD. I believe pre 08 versions have a higher ride height then the TIB. This is because it's basically the same suspension used on the 4wd trucks. The difference is the Knuckle/Spindle.

I have owned a few 4WD trucks in both TTB (coil spring) and SLA (torsion bar) suspensions. I think the SLA's have a better ride quality and handling.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The Edge models have the same front suspension as a 4x4 but without a front axle, transfer case and just dummy spindles instead of complete CV shafts, they can be converted to 4x4 fairly easy.

I have 2 V8 Explorers with that front suspension and I think they ride and handle pretty good, but haven't ridden in a 4x4 Ranger which would be vastly different in weight (V8 Explorers are around 5000lb with driver and most of a tank of gas, about 1000lb heavier than most Rangers. I've never ridden in a coil spring non TTB/TIB Ranger either, so no reference there...

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I drove an 89 STX with coil suspension for 13 years and now drive a 02 FX4 with torsion bar suspension for the past 19 years. Both were 4WD and both were front independent suspension but different styles. I really can't say there is much difference in ride and handling quality between the two. I think the only drawback to T-bar suspension is the rear mount hangs down below the frame taking away the clearance in that area. A plus to the T-bar suspension is an easy, quick lift if you don't go too far.

Since you seem to be looking at 2WD, it should not make any difference between coil and T-bar suspension.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My opinion is the 2wd coil spring suspension handles marginally better than the 4x4 counter part with torsion bar suspension that I've driven (both 98+ IFS not TTB). I have never driven a 2wd torsion bar truck but given its the same suspension as the 4x4 for the IFS trucks I'd have to assume they ride pretty much the same. :dunno:

Now I don't think either actually handle poorly, or amazing. They are both more than adequate for a truck suspension but far from handling like a sports car either. I just feel like the coil spring version is a little softer ride but that could be completely related to the ride height differences.

I think coil spring suspensions are easier to work on or modify too, again, personal opinion...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I don’t remember there being much of a ride difference between coils and torsion bars.

Parts wise, there is more out there for torsion bar suspensions but most of it is geared toward the 4X4 crowd since that is what the majority of the torsion bar trucks are.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you think about it, the coil spring is a torsion bar that is wound up in a circle rather than being straight. When you compress the suspension, the coil spring twists, just like the torsion bar twists. The only real downside to the torsion bars are 1) the rear mounts hang down and reduce ground clearance over rugged terrain, and 2) the torsion bars get more road splash than the coils, so in rust prone areas the torsion bars will rust faster than the coils.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have driven both 2wd coil sprung and 4x4 torsion bar in the SLA style (98+) and don’t really think there was much difference. Also have driven the older TTB suspension. Not really convinced there is much difference on the road. Handling seems more related to sway bars. My blue 2000 Ranger is coil sprung with only a front sway bar. Ride feels maybe a little smoother and more responsive in general although it has some body roll in corners but my green torsion bar has front and rear sway bars and feels more solid and planted when cornering. So the “smoother” ride might be nothing more than lacking a rear sway bar to stiffen it up when cornering. Or just poor memory on my part since I haven’t driven the blue one in years.

Caprock Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 (3 trucks)
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
All three 3.0's
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
all 15", from 225/70 to 31x10.50
My credo
To each their own ____. If it's no skin off my butt, then I couldn't care less.
Want to thank everyone for their input. Your opinions are appreciated. Your assumption about me wanting to stay with 2WD is correct. Even though the dirt lane to
our place is 1 mile long, with 3 tractors and a Jeep I can pull myself out. About 80% of the time my Rangers are pulling 1 of my 3 trailers, a tow dolly, a wagon,
neighbor's implement trailer or a friends equipment trailer. Thus handling is important to me. Sometimes my loads weigh more than the Ranger itself.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you want handling, look at installing a rear sway bar on whatever you get and make sure the front sway bar is there and operating properly. That rear sway bar makes a huge difference.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Rear sway bars on a pickup helps with top heavy loads like a camper, but I don't care for them other wise. Pickups tend to oversteer due to the light weight in the rear and adding a rear sway bar induces more over steer. If you are not driving near the edge like I do a lot, it should make no difference and feel more stable with a rear sway bar.

My 89 STX had sway bars front and rear from the factory. My 02 FX4 has only a front sway bar from the factory. One main difference between the two vehicles was in towing. I had to be careful with the STX to not go over 72 mph when towing my race car on its trailer. above 72 it had a tendency to start whipping back and forth and got violent a couple times. Fortunately, I had trailer brakes and could activate the just the trailer brakes to get it under control. My FX4 is able to go faster than 72 while towing the same race car and trailer without whipping. It has weaved back and forth a few times with side wind gusts or hitting bumps but usually straightens itself out without the need to activate the trailer brakes. Both vehicles are extended cab and had the same shell on the bed and had the same type of hitch receiver. They both set at about the same ride height. The main difference was the STX had a rear sway bar.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals