• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coil spring question/suggestion

Labguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I was hoping someone might have some insight or suggestions about a possible issue I'm chasing on my 2003 Ranger XLT 3.0L automatic. I'm not the original owner of this truck and the guy I bought it from did not install the lift parts on it, and knew very little about the suspension.
Here's what I have. The truck is currently riding on 31" Toyo's, and I have completely rebuild the front suspension with all new components except the 3" Fabtech lift spindles and the coil springs (manufacturer unknown, but dimensions appear stock).

The problems I'm chasing are a nose high look on the truck and a very rough ride. I thought after I rebuild the suspension it would level off, but it never did. The front suspension was shot and every joint was wasted, it needed it. When I did the front suspension I also installed some lift shackles in the rear to try and counteract the nose high condition, but it didn't help. The rough ride was there when I bought the truck, it just wandered more before the front end rebuild. It rides like a tank.
My question is, is there anyway to know if I'm dealing with stock springs or some sort of lift spring. I know the spindles are Fabtech parts because of the part numbers. I currently have the spring out of the drivers side and on the bench. I replaced the old Monroe shocks with a set of KYB basic truck shocks for the application.

I have also heard these trucks can ride rough, but am I just going to have to deal with it or is there a fix I can try?
I'm mainly trying to get this truck straightened out for daily driving duties, with maybe the occasional trip on back roads in northern Michigan.
Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Alan (Labguy)

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
at ride height, are the front shocks at approximately mid-stroke,,,that is half compressed? and the rears?

Labguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I'd have to say not quite. It wasn't difficult to get them on, but i know I'm not at mid stroke. The rears are at maximum extension when the suspension hangs freely. I'd guess with weight on it I'm ok back there.
The fronts could probably be a bit longer. The dampening seems fine, it rides like it's got way too much spring in it. It hits very hard on sharper bumps. I can't however understand why it sits so high up front if the springs are what appear and measure to be stock and only has the 3" lift spindles on it.
The rear had an add a leaf on it when I got it, and I added the extended shackles to try and bring the rear up to the front.

I guess when I put it back together, I could leave the lower shock mount loose until I get it on the ground and see how much travel I need to shove into it to bolt it up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals