• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coil spacers

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Do they go above or below the spring? I'm looking to install some on my 2003 ranger. I think I'm gonna make some like those shown in the tech library, out of washers, and I'm already planning to get longer shocks. Any other tips? Thanks!

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Do they go above or below the spring? I'm looking to install some on my 2003 ranger. I think I'm gonna make some like those shown in the tech library, out of washers, and I'm already planning to get longer shocks. Any other tips? Thanks!
The ones I have seen go under or in between the coils. I think the ones that go under are a lot safer then the ones that fit in between the coils. I would just a taller coil. I am not a fan of spacers. Some of our members here do use them and as far as I know they never had a problem with them (the ones that mount under the coil).

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Those are not going to work for your truck. Spring spacers ONLY work with the 1997 and older trucks.

IF you have a torsion bar front suspension (4x4 and some 2wd models), you can crank them to get a couple inches but thats it unless you want to spend some money to rebuild the suspension.

If you have coils and A-arms (2wd) your options are limited to using lift spindles or changing the front suspension out to something else.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Here is a link to Daystar install instructions on spacers. Maybe this will help.

http://www.daystarweb.com/attachments/instructions/kg/p10476.pdf
Straycat, there are really no good spacer options for newer Rangers. Pretty much all that is available is cheesy stuff like the "twist-in" spring spacers (ie - dangerous junk) or a spacer that makes up for a winding of the coil on top or bottom (which means that less of the real coil engages the seat for it, thus risking the coil popping out).

All of the Daystar stuff I was able to find is designed to replace the top coil cup for a strut system, not the A-arm coil setup that Rangers use. The only other ones are for the '97 and older suspensions.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I just gave him a link to show how spacers are installed. I know people who have used spacers on their coil sprung suspensions and have never had a problem as long as they were not the twist in type. He never said if he had a 4wd or 2wd. and I presume since he mentioned coils that he had a coil suspension. He can buy lift coils and just go with that for a better safer ride.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
coils wont pop out using the 98+ coil spacers, lots of people use them
just make sure they are meant for a 98+ truck.

and they usually go below the spring

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
make sure u buy an extra pair of insulators to keep them from making noises. put one btween the coil and spacer, and another btween the spacer and frame...i would get 2" coils they ride alot better and dont make noise. spacers will increase the spring rate on the 98+ rigs...i had some before i went with some custom deaver coils and btf uniball uppers on my 00

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Sorry I should have been more specific. It's a 2wd and I do have the a-arm setup. I wanted to avoid something expensive like spindles, and I saw on ranger sport honduras' build thread how he used a sort of coil spacer, and I believe he has a 2003 with the sale suspension. I've considered lift springs, but they cost a little more than some big washers lol.

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Just kidding, just now read that his is a '99. Don't know where 2003 came from?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The washer trick only works on 97 and older Rangers.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals