• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coil Pack it in

RANGERKIM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2004 Ford Ranger with 4.0 and Standard transmission. About a year ago now we had been having the Check Engine light come on so I replaced the coil pack. That worked for about 6 months until I drove to Denver for a job. When I reached Denver, O'Reilly's checked it out and said #4 cylinder was misfiring. I changed the plugs and that lasted about a week. I put on new wires and NO engine light. I drove to Tulsa with no engine light, picked up needs and headed back to Denver. On the way the light came on but never blinked. I drove on across Kansas. After arriving, on its own, the light went out. I had O'Reilly's check it with the light off and still #4 cylinder was misfiring. We only drive it on occasion for local errands The light stayed off until last week. O'Reilly's now says its #6 cylinder misfiring. We would like to drive back to Tulsa in spring but don't want to break down on the way or ruin the motor either.
Whats my next move?

Nearly Stranded

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You never mentioned if you did wires? Also my first thing to do with a miss after a tune up is compression check. Wet/dry relative. Especially when it keeps happening on one cylinder. (Or a connecting cylinder).

RANGERKIM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2004 Ford Ranger with 4.0 and Standard transmission. About a year ago now we had been having the Check Engine light come on so I replaced the coil pack. That worked for about 6 months until I drove to Denver for a job. When I reached Denver, O'Reilly's checked it out and said #4 cylinder was misfiring. I changed the plugs and that lasted about a week. I put on new wires and NO engine light. I drove to Tulsa with no engine light, picked up needs and headed back to Denver. On the way the light came on but never blinked. I drove on across Kansas. After arriving, on its own, the light went out. I had O'Reilly's check it with the light off and still #4 cylinder was misfiring. We only drive it on occasion for local errands The light stayed off until last week. O'Reilly's now says its #6 cylinder misfiring. We would like to drive back to Tulsa in spring but don't want to break down on the way or ruin the motor either.
Whats my next move?

Nearly Stranded
I did on ask a mechanic when I signed up but I guess I forgot to you. Yes I did the wires as well. I will try the compression check.
Thank you.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

Did you write down the exact code or codes?
Really need those versus a parts guy telling you what they mean

Misfire means the Cam sensor detected less power when a cylinder should have added power to the engine
Nothing to do with spark specifically could be fuel injector or compression issue, as said

But could be spark so changing older spark plugs and spark plug wires is never a bad idea, new coil pack was a bit over the top

When you get codes like P0304(misfire #4) and P0306(misfire #6) it means there were multiple occasions when that specific cylinder didn't add power to the crank, so it has to happen quite a few times for CEL to come on
Flashing CEL means misfires are occurring RIGHT NOW!!!! so back off the throttle or engine damage can occur

When you have the codes read again there should also be Pending Codes and maybe History codes, get all of them and write them down

The reason is the amount of codes available for the computer to use is ALOT, list here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD-II_codes.shtml

So exact code numbers are very.......very important, "I think it was..................." is worse than no code, lol

Last edited:

RANGERKIM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

Did you write down the exact code or codes?
Really need those versus a parts guy telling you what they mean

Misfire means the Cam sensor detected less power when a cylinder should have added power to the engine
Nothing to do with spark specifically could be fuel injector or compression issue, as said

But could be spark so changing older spark plugs and spark plug wires is never a bad idea, new coil pack was a bit over the top

When you get codes like P0304(misfire #4) and P0306(misfire #6) it means there were multiple occasions when that specific cylinder didn't add power to the crank, so it has to happen quite a few times for CEL to come on
Flashing CEL means misfires are occurring RIGHT NOW!!!! so back off the throttle or engine damage can occur

When you have the codes read again there should also be Pending Codes and maybe History codes, get all of them and write them down

The reason is the amount of codes available for the computer to use is ALOT, list here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD-II_codes.shtml

So exact code numbers are very.......very important, "I think it was..................." is worse than no code, lol
I will return Friday since I am off. My wife had it checked and all they gave her was a diagram but no codes. When I went before they gave me those codes. I will be in touch as soon as I can get free again, at least by Friday.
Thanks

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 07 Mustang with a 4.0. Don't know if it's the same engine. Anyhow, got a P0300 code for Random Misfire. Replaced the coils with Accel Supercoils. Wires with JBA Power Wires. New stock plugs. The cel hasn't come back on yet. But I do have a P0300pd code (pending code, won't turn on the cel), which has been there for like a month. Fuel pressure is good, so assuming the filter is good. Going to change it anyways, since I bought the car in November and assume the previous owner never changed it. Also running some fuel injection cleaner in the tank in case it's a dirty injector issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals