• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) Code p2004 how to test imrc solenoid and actuator

tatermatt90

Reaction score
Check engine light came on showing p2004. After tons of reading about this code I connected a vacuum gauge to the hose leading to the irmc solenoid from the intake and got a pressure of 20. There is no vacuum going to the actuator at any rpm therefore the solenoid isnt opening. I took the solenoid out and applied pressure to it with my vacuum pump. Then i connected voltage to it and the solenoid opened releasing the pressure... does this prove solenoid is good?

Then i attached the vacuum pump to the hose leading to the imrc actuator. I pumped it up and release it several times. I can hear the actuator and flaps moving each time.

Im assuming the problem is no electrical signal to open the solenoid is causing the p2004 code? I didnt get a chance to check the voltage coming from the plug. At what rpm should i be getting voltage?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There should always be vacuum from the line from the intake manifold to the electric solenoid since that is direct manifold vacuum, the line from the electric solenoid to the vaccum actuator should only have vacuum when the electric solenoid is commanded on by the PCM. When that electric solenoid is commanded on by the PCM I am not sure of. The system fails in the open position 99% of the time (p2004) so if vacuum is lost it stays open. Most common issue I've seen is a vacuum leak caused by the hoses simply falling apart.

The butterfly shaft can also seize, the vacuum actuator can leak, or the electric solenoid can fail. The whole system is crap and ford got rid of it after 2 years so most people just delete the whole thing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals