• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Code P1270

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I know what P1270 means and I know how I got it. What I don't know is if it will clear itself in time.

I know I could clear it but that would leave it with a P1000 code which is difficult to clear. I just went through having to clear a P1000 code after to installing a DPFE sensor. It seems about every time I am about due for Smog test, a code is thrown and it is usually the DPFE sensor.

I had just gotten the P1000 code cleared after 2+ drive cycles and was making a pass not watching my speed when I hit the speed limiter. I called the Smog test station to see if they would pass it with the P1270 code since it is not emissions related. They said no codes are allowed even if it not emissions related. I am hoping it will clear itself because I don't want to have to do those drive cycles again. I have been driving for two days with out it clearing. Will it clear itself in time? Smog test time is coming up within the next couple weeks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
P1270 Max RPM limiter or Max Speed limiter reached/exceeded

No, I don't think that will clear on its own
Reason being it would be a diagnostic indicator a tech could use in an engine or drive train failure
i.e. warranty issues, lol

Its also not a monitor code specifically, where a repair to a system would cause code to clear when retesting the system on start up

So clear it and do drive cycles again

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
That sounds like a reasonable conclusion. I have read elsewhere that it has cleared on its own for some, but agree it probably won't. I was hoping it is true. I agree I will and probably end up clearing and doing the drive cycle(s) again.

The Ford manual for technicians just says to tell the customer about P1270 (what it means) and return it to the customer. Nothing indicates it should be cleared. Maybe clearing is standard procedure.

I will drive it a couple more days and clear if it doesn't do it on it own. I will report the results.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Well, I drove three more days and the P1270 code would not clear itself. With not much time before I had to have smog test, I cleared it. Of course the P1000 code came back. I did the drive cycle and tried to follow it exactly as much as I could in SoCal traffic. It did not clear, which is what I expected. I drove it another two days back and forth to work and checked for codes this evening. I got no codes. I will be heading for a smog test tomorrow before some new code pops up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals