• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

code 332

dmassey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Got the infamous 332 code (again) as I do about every year or so and it truns out to be the DPFE sensor. Fortunately an easy swap on my 94 2.3, but does anybody know of anyone that makes a senosor that will last longer or is there anything that I can do? I've gotten these from Advance and Auto Zone. Thanks in advance.
Danny

BTW, I checked the EGR solenoid and it checks okay and even changed it out once. The orafice in the EGR tube is open and the engine stumbles when the valve is opened manually.:icon_bounceblue::dunno::dunno:

dmassey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Think I'll rig up a gadget to draw a vacuum on the egr while idling to see:
1. If the engine stumbles or dies and
2. Back probe the DPFE sensor plug and see if the signal to the PCM increases.

I've cleaned the egr valve and intake ports but I haven't done the above tests. If tthe engine stumbles or dies when I pull vacuum that should show me that the diaphragm in the egr is good and that the valve is working. If the electrical signal from the DPFE to the PCM increases withvacuum to the egr, that should show that the orafice in the egr tube is open and that the DPFE is reading a Differential upstream and downstream Pressure. Or at leaast that's how I understand it.:dntknw:dntknw:

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
ya, you can just suck on the vaccum hose. dosen't take much to open it. i had my tube get clogged once, and couldn't get it off the manifold so i just braided some bailing wire together and went in from the top to clean it out.

dmassey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Decided that since I was going to have to change it anyhow, to try some MAF cleaner from CRC. Believe it or not it helped. It takes much longer for the CEL to come on and it actually will go off and come back on later. But anyhow I also decide to get the SMP DPFE from Rock Auto since I've been through about 3-4 of the Wells sensors.:icon_cheers:

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
i go through dpfe sensors about every 6k miles. they aren't worth a ... well you know. just replace them when it's time for a smog and unplugg them inbetween.

dmassey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
i go through dpfe sensors about every 6k miles. they aren't worth a ... well you know. just replace them when it's time for a smog and unplugg them inbetween.
Does it seem to you that the engine runs just as well if not better sometimes when the CEL is on and the PCM is ignoring the sensors and running the engine on default settings? I don't notice any MPG difference either.:icon_confused:

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
ya, i get slightly better mileage with the dpfe unplugged. Runs pretty much the same. The PCM still uses input from the other sensors when the emissions stuff is unplugged. If it were running in limp mode, you'd notice a significant drop in MPG and power.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals