• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

code 14 pip - wont run

madmax401

Reaction score
code 14 pip keeps popping up on me on my 88 f250 5.8 fi. every one else had similar problems with their 2.9 and replace all components. i too have replaced everything = new MSD pro billet distributor and then another brand new pro billet distributor. runs for a little while smoothly but not no real power when you step into the pedal. pull the codes again and 14 comes back after it was cleared prior to the re test. if 14 is erratic PIP signal and ive replaced the tfi module and distrbutor with brand new ones......where else could my problem be.could my ECM be defective? does my ECM have anything to do with PIP? I HAVE SPARK TO THE PLUGS * I HAVE 40LBS CONSTANT FUEL PRESSURE AT THE RAIL*NEW FPR* BOTH FUEL PUMPS KICK ON AND RUN* ive read in another post that somebodys truck would run ok down the street and the horrible on the way back. mine , when running is smooth idle and lacks top end power.........after i shut it down and try to re start........it wont start . totally baffeling . my guess is to replace everything from where PIP start starts all the way up to the 6 pin tfi distributor module plug. spark and fuel are present at all times ! does anyone have a link that will show the PIP wiring circuit ? :icon_confused:

madmax401

Reaction score
possible solution

I havent gotten any replies,,,,,,, so i started researching a little more about the PIP problem. the TFI modules that were mounted on the distributor has been a pain in fords ass since 1983. the fix is to remotely mount the TFI either on the radiator oor the fender and using a heatsink from a cougar. later in the week i will rewire everything after i find a suitable heatsink. this problem actually occured after i change my steering column..........the problem could be in the column as well as the TFI. I'll keep you guys posted .

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Does it run with the spout connector out ? Yes - - PCM is bad.

madmax401

Reaction score
still nowhere

the spout connector has no effect on its running. the truck sounds like it wants to start within the 1st half second of turning the key and then just continues to crank normally with no attempts to fire up. possibly something connected to the keyed ignition ?:dunno: i swapped ecm's ......and still nothing . the scanner also said a map sensor was bad,.....could a bad map interrupt my distributor pip signal ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals