• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cobbled together POS..

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
well i decided to get my old parts truck fit for daily driving.. i bought it 8 months ago for parts, well the only parts i used it for was the grille, alternator and armrest.. i tought it was a 2.0 like the tittle says but its not.

i belive its a 2.3 that was fuel injected that was rigged to work. heres how i can tell

1: no mechanical fuel pump hole, just 2 bolt holes..
2: D port head with an o port 2 barrel aisan carb intake
3: so much rigging, the electric fuel pump was wired in rigged style, the carb and its vaccumm stuff was rigged like crazy too..

anyways, im gona try and make a good truck out of it, i just scored a weber 32/36 thats in good shape for 40 bucks. well i took the intake off the engine to make me an adapter for the weber. well thats when i found out i have a d-port head with an round port intake, no wonder it ran like crap, not only the chunk missing out of the carb gasket but incorrect intake... cant believe i drove 40 miles from bergman to berryville like that...

aparently it "runs" with that intake so im gona get a d-port gasket and try to match the intake to it somewhat.. although id rather get the correct intake.. or head..

now wich head is better, the d-port or the ranger round port, i can get a round port of a 2.0 from a co-worker..

and what are my options for d-port intakes for carbs.. i'll be using a weber 32/36

do you think i could match the round to the d-port without problems?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The round port/D port is slightly mismatched but it will work. That was my first mod after I changed the head to a D port...the 78 Mustang II intake and carb...

There are a few options as has been covered in a few posts within the last year or so. I will see if I can find the post...

EDIT: OK, took a bit of searching for the one I wanted, but actually found a few good threads...

This one is long and packed with good info...but go to page 6 or 7 and look at the pics in post #128...

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123697&highlight=intake

It shows the round port intake but you can get the same intake with D ports...slight change in the number on the intake...the information is all there...even a discussion about the differences...just might need to read through a lot of stuff to find what you want...and you can also use the "Search" and choose to search this forum...type in intake or carb mods or any combination of key words and there are literally dozens of posts covering the various options...

It would be nice to compile a document out of this info alone covering the many possible options and what parts are used...

Not sure if that thread has it, but someone also posted an intake from a boat application...and I think the outcome was it ran OK but had some issues with performance overall...

Happy hunting...

Last edited:

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
well, i did some reading, looks like i'll need an old carbed mustang intake to match the head, i'll order a d port gaskest and see how close i can port match the 2.0 intake.

now, i can get a 2.0 head from someone, but is it worth it? i doubt i'll find a carbed d port intake around here.. figure since im gona be driving this truck, i might as well do the best i can...

what about the oval intakes on a d-port head? i know were a really bad rough one is that looks like an old mustang one, it had the remains of a holley 5200 on it. i could probly get it for scrap value. but its a 40 mile drive -_-

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Thanks Richard, that was one of the posts I was looking for...there is plenty of information in Kenneths post...I'd like to see that info broken down a bit more to simply address carb/intake options...it is not easy information to find in any one place and really nice to see it here...

Cody...the intakes used to be available through Esslinger years ago but I haven't seen them lately...check out E-bay or CL...never know what you might find... but you probably won't find it in a jy unless you ask them to hold onto one for you...they usually just crush the older cars and that is a shame because many good parts are going to scrap when there are still people looking for them...

I've put the word out to a few jys over the years and have never received a call about parts I'd wanted...maybe because I moved and changed my phone number a few times, but more likely that if the parts did come in it was overlooked...

I'm sure you will find what you need...the old Mustang intakes may also be available through Mustang forums though...so you might want to check those out too...

Last edited:

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
well, i got my D-port gasket today, the round port intake manifold will work without any modifacation, the holes on it line up, but there just smaller. i'll take some pictures soon of my build up..

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
rep to the first person who can see the major flaw with this setup...

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Sweet Gasket setup. Even has a natural vent hole built in.

S-

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Might be better off taking your chances and using gasket maker paper. You already have where the bolt holes are. Use some marking agent and apply to the manifold. When you remove it? You should have an outline of the ports and where to use an exacto knife.

S-

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
I dont think i would put that intake on a D port head... You are going to have serious fuel pooling issues where they dont line up.... Not to mention the air fuel mixture has to make a 40* turn after it come out of the intake into the head on the 1 and 4 ports. This looks inefficient as hell.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
yea, i just made a cardboard copy of the intake to line up to the cylinder head, not gona work, not a good seal. guess its time to hit up the salvage yard...

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
well, i called up my favorite yard and i found a round port head, 2.0 or 2.3 is unknown...

from what i understand, the 2.0 has smaller valves and smaller combustion chamber to match the smaller bore, which will result in higher compression but less flow. how much more compression are we talking about, 9:5, 10:5 or more? will 2.0 valves be able to keep up with the 2.3 block?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
It will work, and if its circle port, its a 2.0. to my knowledge they never used circle port on a 2.3, only D and oval.

I also have no knowledge of the 2.0 head chamber size. I can imagine its much of a C/R increase. probably .1 or .2

On a different note, a 2.0 head will probably work wonders for my future project which will be street bike carbs on a 2.3. I imagine a port job, and bigger valves and it would work great!

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
rep to the first person who can see the major flaw with this setup...

You could probably fill that in with some JB Weld...:icon_thumby:

you may be better off trying to find a different intake...if the head is good that you have...just had my head tested and rebuilt (shaved also) and it came out to about $450...the head wasn't cracked and I could have just slapped it on without testing...but that is taking a huge risk...

As compared to finding/buying new intake that matches the current head??? I'd say you should be able to do it for less than $100...but only if you know for sure your current head is OK...

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i would love to find a d-port intake to work with the weber, but so far no luck, i can get the 2.0 head with valve cover for 50$. my d-port head is good so i'll probly sell it to regain the cost of the 2.0 head,gasket and bolts.. end goal is to have a reliable dependable beater that can atleast do 70mph on flat ground, instead of 45 mph like before... the ranger i daily drive has the same engine block/head and can do 100mph all day.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals