• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cna you put the rear LSD into the front?

RedRanger83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger fx4
Transmission
Automatic
Been researching, and I cant seem to find much on this concept but,

I should be getting an 06 fx4 level 2 here, and those came with a lsd rear diff. I want to add a locker, and was wondering if I could slap the lsd from the rear diff into the front diff, then just put a locker in the rear (seems a waste to ditch the lsd, but want a locker, and trying to save money buy not getting 2x lockers)

Is this even possible? Or is it going to cost more to swap parts than to just go lockers on front and rear at the same time

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
nope.
the front axle is totally different than the rear.
front is a DANA 35 SLA rear is a Ford 8.8

RedRanger83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger fx4
Transmission
Automatic
perfect. i appreciate a straightforward, technical answer like that lol.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wouldn't put a locker in the front unless you want to break CVs.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Many people run lockers in the front without problems. It is a matter of knowing how to do it without abusing the drivetrain.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If I were going to put one in front it would be selectable, like and air locker or e-locker. Locked when you need it, open when you don't.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
We sold very few F trucks and 96 and earlier Broncos with front traction lock, they were squirrelly to drive on snow and really didn't like corners. You could climb a tree in a straight line, though.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Early D28 trucks could have front limited slip. The new Tremor Super Duty as a limited slip in the front also.

The older D35 trucks, you could put the rear carrier from certain Jeeps in to get front limited slip. No dice for 98-11 trucks though.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I made a limited slip by adding an extra side gear shim or two to both a d-28 and 9". The d-28 was in a b2. In the snow it was awesome in a straight line. As soon as you started sideways on a hill you would have to point the nose up and crab walk across the side of the hill. Made for some interesting driving in the mountains...

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Early D28 trucks could have front limited slip. The new Tremor Super Duty as a limited slip in the front also.

The older D35 trucks, you could put the rear carrier from certain Jeeps in to get front limited slip. No dice for 98-11 trucks though.
Even if you can (and you probably can) install a limited slip in the 98-11 trucks there's only one way I would consider doing it. That would be to have a '98-2000 Ranger that had the pulse vacuum hubs swapped out for manual lockers. No way I'd do it in one with the PVH still intact or live axles.

Atleast with the older trucks and the manual hubs on a '98-'00 you can physically lock out the front axle. The PVH would probably be ok too, I just don't trust them to work right. That's just my thoughts and opinion on the matter.

I don't know about the new Super Duties, but I know my '00 F-250 has manual hubs.Most Super Duties of that generation had auto lockers, some had manual like mine,all of them the front hubs could be disengaged. I don't know that they ever went to live axle like the Ranger and Explorer had.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The OP didn't ask about putting a locker in the front, he asked if he could put a lsd in the front. The answer is yes, you can put a torsen limited slip in the front diff (if you can find one that fits) because there are versions of the F-150 that have torsen front differentials from the factory, as well as other brand X vehicles that do also.

New Super Duty trucks still have auto/manual locking front hubs.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Actually, he asked if he could put the rear LSD in the front. That answer is "no". Yes, you can put a LSD in the front. Torsen makes one specifically for the Ranger, but is not always available.

I have run Torsen differentials front and rear for many years with no problem. When in 2WD, I pretty much do not even know it is there. In 4WD there are some quirky instances when I use it on wet pavement. I have not used it much in 4WD in snow but when I did, it worked very well. Off-road in 4WD, it is great and handles everything I have thrown at is with no problem.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
People have different thresholds for "this works for what I want to do" or "this is dangerous".

You can put a lunchbox in the front for whatever they cost now + fluid ($300?). Front autolockers in 2wd don't do anything but make ratcheting clicks. They do make it hard to turn in 4x4, but if there's enough snow on the ground for me to just be driving around in 4x4, I'm also driving really carefully. You learn how to handle it fairly quickly. I would assume the same applies to a front LSD, but it'll cost twice as much (if it's in stock at all) and require you reset the gears. If you don't do any technical wheeling; I wouldn't drop $1k+ on a selectable.

If you upgrade the rear, just sell/donate your trac-lok to another owner.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I don't think there are any selectable lockers for the front of a 2006 Ranger. I did a very thorough search for one before I went with the front Torsen. The only thing I could find that might work was from Yukon. It would have required some modification to both their kit and the cross frame to get it to work. I was seriously considering doing it until the front Torsen came out. To me, it was not worth the risk and cost to try the Yukon selectable locker when the Torsen was an easier install.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you upgrade the rear, just sell/donate your trac-lok to another owner.
Doesn't the FX4 Level 2 have a Torsen differential in the rear? If so I would keep it, way better than a track lock.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals