• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CLUTCH SLAVE ISSUES

MarkDonovan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Seven, that's right, Seven clutches on 11 rangers. That's how many times the crappy slave cylinder has caused me to replace a clutch. I have a 2003 Ranger edge 4X4 and this two year old slave is now acting up and the bleeder screw is frozen and I can't even attempt to bleed it. Does anyone know of a better manual trans that will swap into this truck? Preferably one with a granny gear. I pull heavy trailers all the time. I love my Rangers, but hate this horrible design on the clutch slave cylinder.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I've owned nothing but Rangers my entire life (30+ years of ownership) and have never had those kinds of problems. I've replaced slaves and masters a few times but only because I was already replacing the clutch. When you install new parts it's best to coat the bleeder screws with a liberal amount of anti-seize so you don't have these problems.. Also, use the little rubber caps for bleeder screws..

I'm wondering if you're bleeding them correctly or not. Also, if you can, buy Motorcraft parts. The parts store brands will not last as long.

MarkDonovan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
We must be close in age, I have owned 11 rangers first one bought new in 1990. I have had this issue with every one that has had the manual trans. I have always paid a shop to do the clutches, I haven't done any myself. I work on machines all day and don't want to work on them when I am off. I recently thought I would attempt to backwards bleed this one with a tool I use every day as a motorcycle technician. However the bleed screw is frozen and I don't want to damage the slave. Perhaps the folks that did the work in the past didn't do the best job, that's possible. I have read several post where others have had similar issues. The fact that you haven't doesn't mean it's not an issue with these machines. I have close to 1 million accumulated miles on 4.0 Engines without one of them ever having the cam chain issues I read about. But I don't think it's not an issue. I love the manual trans, I love Rangers. I despise this component that seems to be a weakness in my opinion. The question was "Does anyone know of a better manual trans that will swap into this truck?" Thanks for the response.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The facts are that the slave cylinder is a wear item. Even the aftermarket versions made from billet aluminum and stainless steel still leak or fail regularly. My Tilton 6000 in my V8 swap truck chucked a throwout bearing in the first few thousand miles. It's always weeped the tiniest bit as well, and they're what Nascar teams are currently using.

Switching to another version of manual trans won't save you from slave cylinder failures. It sounds like you'd be better off going to an automatic transmission. Either that, or design a better slave cylinder and bring it to market.

The only other options I could see working for you would be a transmission that used a clutch fork and cable to the pedal, like the Foxbody Mustangs used, but to my knowledge, you'd be stuck with a 2 wheel drive trans. Unless you went to a huge ZF trans.

Last edited:

MarkDonovan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
"I've owned nothing but Rangers my entire life (30+ years of ownership) and have never had those kinds of problems."

"Even the aftermarket versions made from billet aluminum and stainless steel still leak or fail regularly."

Ahh so we agree, not the best design. I don't know that any of my clutches ever actually went bad because none of them ever slipped. I had to deal with the bad slave cylinders. It's just that when they were in there it just seemed prudent to listen to the advice of the experts and replace them. I would seriously love to have a granny gear, because of the way I use this particuar Ranger. Maybe I'm just dreaming. Just if there was something out there that was a direct bolt up I would hate to miss it. I suppose I will do this one myself this time. I think I will use a high performance Brake fluid like Motul RFB 600. I bought the best clutch I could find. I suppose the heat I produce slipping the clutch taking off pulling a trailer on an incline may be causing the fluid to break down. Any suggestions on an aftermarket or OEM slave and master combo I might get the best service out of? This is the clutch I bought.

Attachments

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Question is, what brand of replacement slave cylinder keeps failing? That might answer the question of whether it is a defect in design, or workmanship.

MarkDonovan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That's a good point. The original OEM ones always lasted the longest. I will go that rout on this one. Unless I get solid advise otherwise.

Mike Tonon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Mine has a small internal leak, only when cold outside. Should I try Barr’s Leaks clutch stop leak? I have no problems, otherwise and don’t want to pull the transmission. Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals