• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch ruined because of shift fork?

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
Well I hope your trans is fine. If it's messed up I would look into just getting it repaired instead of searching for one at a u-pull-it yard. I know that at the junkyards here in Northeast PA you'll be making a several weekly trips to the place before you find one for a 3 liter.

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I take it your in the northeast corner of pa? I was thinking of visiting harry's or something similar.

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
an update to the problem, well I got the truck back from the trans shop including the bad shift forks, two shift forks replaced due to a pilot bushing/bearing failure? They claim the input shaft was floating due to the bad bearing? Comparing the two shift forks for gears 1-2, and 3-4, you can clearly see the difference between the bad and new shift forks. Also had a bad master cylinder, well everything is back up running/shifting smoothly now. what a relief. The clutch is in good condition so they say, and it feels so, I now have a much stiffer pedal as well. What I'd like to know is how do master cylinders usually fail? this one wasn't supplying enough fluid I guess? Don't they usually leak?

thanks

ati190

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
The first thought that goes through my head is that the master cylinder had air in it and they thought it was bad due to the fact that it's very hard to bleed them while they're in the truck. I sure hope you had the slave cylinder replaced while they had the trans out because that could cost you later if it fails. I don't know where in PA you are but if I would have known for sure that it was just your shift forks I would have probably given you an entire top cover with forks for no more than half of what they wanted for the parts.

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had that replaced as well, even though the clutch was new when I bought the truck, the 2 shift forks costed me 80, new for both 1,2 and 3,4. The slave and pilot bearing was replaced, and the master was just bad, after they slapped the new one in, it bled right out. as I said it's running like new again, shifts are flawless, nothing but smoothness in the trans now, also the whining it was making disappeared :yahoo:. I'm in the scranton/wilkes-barre area of pa, just for future reference.

thanks
ati190

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
makg, i have no idea how you got the title 'technical advisor'. and your trans died because the clutch hydraulics either had air in them or the master or slave went went bad, or both and wouldnt pressurize the the system. thats why its hard to shift and you destroyed forks. basically like shifting without the clutch at all. putting new forks and syncros in really isnt that costly and doesnt mean you have to buy a new truck

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
I'm in the scranton/wilkes-barre area of pa, just for future reference.
[/QUOTE]

Just drove by there on my way to Pittston earlier today. You are not too far from Harry's if you jump on 81, I would suggest taking a trip there next time you need stuff for your truck. Or you could just ask me what's there since I stop by there and do a "walk through" once a week.

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
in the future, i'll be looking for seats for my truck, 60/40 with a console in the middle, for an 95 ext cab, tan or black in color is fine if you see it there let me know. everything else seems to be good on my truck :). I haven't been able to find seats in good condition, I'll probably be looking towards the end of the month for them. I really only need a drivers seat if i can find a tan one.
thanks
ati190

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
So a happy driver with a smooth shifting Ranger... yet the circle is not complete until we know how much the fine mechanics charged, parts and labor, for this tranny + clutch job...???

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If the shop didn't charge too much I would keep bringing my truck to these guys. They nailed the problem and knew what additional critical parts were needed to prevent a problem later.:icon_thumby:

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
here is the break down of what was replaced.
Shift fork 1-2
shift fork 3-4
pilot bearing - cheap
slave cylinder - expensive for a common failure part.
(clutch was good)
and also the hydraulic line. <--- expensive.

668.57 total for everything. (excluding state sales tax).
it was a 700$ job with tax.

Shifts flawlessly now. I'm glad they looked inside my trans. Had they not, My shift fork would have probably sheered off causing a catastrophic failure.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
If that includes LABOR, than not too bad for not having to do it yourself. Throw in what you paid for the truck and you're "gittin' 'er done" while "beating the system".

Guess I'll have to take a closer look at the Mazda shift forks... thought they were beefy things and not easily offended.

Did you ever say how many MILES were on this clean truck?

Anyway, GOOD LUCK with it/her.

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that's labor included. There is 117k on the truck. I will post pics when I get it cleaned up. Right now there is a ton of salt/slush etc caked on to it. Not to jack my own thread, but it had new shocks/balljoints/tie rods etc put on before I bought it. The truck is really clean with no rust.

sebastian323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
ok, i made one last call, they are making sure that I didnt bend a shift fork, or do any other damage, before replace the clutch/slave/pilot bearing.. I have hearing issues.. the clutch wouldnt engage/disengage to answer gotta_gofast hard to get in and out of gear while running.
I take it is possible to change the shift forks on the M50D without removing the transmission from the vehicle ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals