• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch replacement questions

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
LT265/75/R16
Hey guys, just picked up a 1994 Ford Ranger Extended cab 2.3L 4cyl 5 speed manual. Slave cylinder is leaking like crazy. While I'm replacing the slave cyl, I was thinking of replacing the clutch as well. When taking the trans out, is it necessary to pull the exhaust? Any other tips/suggestions?

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes you may have to remove the exhaust, sometimes not...depends on how good at wiggling the tranny around you are. I'd go ahead and soak the bolts in some PB blaster for a couple days beforehand, just in case.

bhawk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
I'd look at the thickness of the clutch plate when you have the transmission out to replace the slave. It is possible the clutch was replaced before since failing slave cylinders plague all rangers. A few years ago I had to replace the slave on our 94 ranger. I thought since I was right there I would spend the extra bucks and replace the clutch. So, spent the cash and did the swap. But, I soon learned the new clutch plate was no thicker than the old one, and upon closer examination, I discovered the clutch and slave were not original to the truck, and had been replaced before, and the clutch was still good, so I kinda wasted the cash on the clutch.
However, I would definitely spend the money to replace the clutch master cylinder when you replace the slave. The clutch masters are also a weak point on the ranger, so do both at the same time, and view the bleeding technique video referred to on many of the threads in this forum, put out by precision or perfection clutch systems. The video is on youtube. A must view before you touch any part of a ranger system. If you want to buy parts, buy from them as they deserve our business for putting out such an excellent video.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals