• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch replacement 1992 XLT 4.0L, just need to be sure I have everything I need

joshsmit07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys, I just found this place this week, and am planning on replacing the clutch in my newly-acquired 1992 XLT this Friday(8/14). I knew the clutch was bad when I bought the truck, however I was not aware that it was laying in pieces in the bottom of the bell housing, which I found when I pulled the starter in preparation for all of this. I am assuming this is due to a rear main leak, as the transmission appears to be free and the shifter feels normal. It has been a while since I've done a clutch(last one was an 83 Ranger 4-speed), so I figured I would post here and be sure I'm not missing anything.

Here is what I have new and will be replacing:
- Transmission mount
- Clutch/pressure plate/throwout bearing/slave cylinder
- Rear main seal
- exhaust flange gaskets(y to cat and cat to tailpipe)
- rear shaft center support bearing

I plan to drop the transfer case first, then the transmission, seperately. I've never worked with four wheel drive, so this will be new. Are there any tricks to this part I should be aware of?

I have drained the transfer case and transmission, and sprayed PB blaster on/broken loose all the bolts to the frame. I have removed the y-pipe and cat, along with both driveshafts(marked of course).

This should be a simple swap like I'm thinking, right? There does appear to be a trans fluid leak from the top, I'm thinking shift rail plugs, does that sound right?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Leave the t-case on the trans. All you do taking it off is make extra work. Yes it will make the trans roll a bit but you should be ok if you strap it down tight enough.

joshsmit07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Leave the t-case on the trans. All you do taking it off is make extra work. Yes it will make the trans roll a bit but you should be ok if you strap it down tight enough.
Thanks for the fast reply. I forgot to mention that I also have the pilot bearing and will be replacing that also. If I read the book right, this is in the flywheel, not the end of the crank. Can I knock it out once I remove the flywheel, or do I need to remove it before I remove the flywheel?

Also, upon further inspection this morning, there appears to be some sort of vent hose coming from the transfer case, the other end of which is just hanging out up around where the shifter comes out the top. Does this need to be attached to something? It wasn't readily apparent where it goes. The book mentions it, but shows it on the opposite side.

Thanks again.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The pilot bearing is much easier to remove after removing the flywheel. At least it is that way on my 4.0 SOHC. You did not mention surfacing the flywheel but I am guessing you are doing that since you are removing it.

I have changed clutches with the t-case on and removing the t-case first. I think it is easier to leave the t-case on if you have a transmission jack that will hold the transmission straight. The t-case, being off-center, makes the whole thing want to tilt down on the driver side. Just make sure your truck is high enough that the transmission and t-case will clear everything on the bottom in order to get it out from under the truck.

The shift rail plugs are a common leak area but the seal for the shifter plate can also leak. It should not be difficult to observe where your leak is coming from once you get the transmission out.

joshsmit07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, all went well so far, turns out there was indeed a rear main leak, but the clutch was just old and apparently exploded due to a combination of age, oil, and heat spidering on the flywheel surface - the flywheel definitely needed to be turned, but the cost to have it turned was about equal to a new one from rockauto, so I went with that, should be here next week sometime.

I have a further question, though. At the bottom of the back of the engine, there are two plastic clips, or shims. They are rectangular and are bewteen the bell housing and engine on the bottome two holes, they have places to clip into the engine, and one of them appears to be missing...are these important to keep the trans 'in line' with the engine? What are they, and do I need to just shim the side with the missing clip equal to the other side, or what?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals