• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch Problems

stuart362

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey all. New here, so let me know if I’m doing something wrong.

I bought my 91 a while ago, and it had a leaking slave cylinder. I replaced the slave, throw out bearing, clutch plate and pressure plate. Bled the system, and everything was great for a week. After driving it about 200 miles total, something went wrong and now I can’t get it into 1st/Reverse. Tried bleeding it more, with a vacuum pump, checked the master cylinder, and can’t find any issues. There’s no leak, and the clutch pedal feels okay. Any ideas?

91 Ranger, 4x4, 4.0L, 183k.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have someone pump the clutch pedal while you feel the master's hose down to the slave
The hose can get weak and expand under pressure so slave doesn't move as far out as it should

I assume you can easily shift into 1st/Rev with engine OFF

Do not FORCE it into 1st you will break the 1st/2nd roll pin off

stuart362

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The lines all feel good, there’s a small shift on the fitting at the slave cylinder, but looking at the old one it looks like that’s supposed to be there.

Yes, shifts totally fine all gears when not running.

If I start the truck in gear, it doesn’t lurch but I can tell the clutch is engaged. After about 1/2” off the firewall, I can feel the clutch continue to engage the rest of the way.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you use a SAC(self adjusting clutch) pressure plate?

Makes Ranger clutches work better, well any hydraulic clutchs with internal slave work better with SAC

Its not required, but does make it easier with new clutch disc

Not sure why it worked better and then stopped working well, that part doesn't make sense

How a clutch works
The transmission is always connected to the rear wheels, so the transmission must always spin at rear wheel RPM

The flywheel and pressure plate always spin at engine RPMs
The clutch disc is sandwiched between flywheel and pressure plate, and connected to input shaft of transmission

So when you are stopped, transmission is at 0 RPMs
In Neutral clutch pedal up, clutch disc is at say 750RPM, engine idle

So to put transmission in to 1st(or any) gear, the clutch disc/input shaft MUST slow down to 0 RPMs

If there is ANY rubbing of flywheel or pressure plate on the 10" clutch disc, then the 4" synchro gears will have a very hard time slowing it down to 0 RPMs
And it must slow down to 0 RPMs or it won't go into gear

This rubbing can happen if pressure plate's springs are not pushed in enough, slave not expanding all the way
Which is why air in the system is often the problem

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's sounds really stupid but works... engine not running or in neutral put the clutch pedal to the floor then slip your foot off the pedal, do that several times, see if it works... these clutches are impossible to gravity bleed or bleed like you would brakes, the master cylinder angle is wrong...

I limped my '91 Explorer along for a couple months with a leaking slave cylinder that way, when the pedal got soft or was hard to shift stopped I'd add more fluid and do that to get going again...

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's sounds really stupid but works... engine not running or in neutral put the clutch pedal to the floor then slip your foot off the pedal, do that several times, see if it works... these clutches are impossible to gravity bleed or bleed like you would brakes, the master cylinder angle is wrong...

I limped my '91 Explorer along for a couple months with a leaking slave cylinder that way, when the pedal got soft or was hard to shift stopped I'd add more fluid and do that to get going again...
I tried that on my truck. It didnt work so im going T5 I was having the same issue as him we did everything we could think of.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The only thing I can say is bench bleed everything and try again.

You might be able to buy the slave fitting with a 3an fitting. Im using a different trans now but I was able to get these which fit in the master

Call Russell and see if they make something for the slave. And use AN3 line instead of plastic.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The BEST and recommended way to bleed the clutch is to remove the line from the slave, remove the master cylinder, pull the whole assembly out, orient the master horizontal then push on the linkage until it is solid. If it is already solid the air is in the slave cylinder.

ranger_gord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 10.5 R15
My credo
40 yr. Electronic/electrical mechanical technician&currently a forensic engineer,Fire Investigator
I was following this link and wondered if you figured out what the problem was with the clutch master slave bleeding etc.

Under the knee bolster, at the brake/clutch assembly they used aluminum to mount the pivot points for both the brake and clutch pedals. They inserted a plastic or similar material bushing. I am not referring to the little clip that holds the clutch pedal to the master clutch rod, but to the right of that, as identified by the red circle in the photo.
A5F36565-12E3-42F2-9C7A-F377E3AD4BE6.jpeg

The plastic insert wears out, the hole becomes oblong, and changes the pivot point enough that even if you have a new, fully bled master and slave system, the pivot only allows for partial deflection of the clutch rod and doesn’t move the slave (you can measure the deflection at the slave to check this).
Thus, it will grind and “slam” into gear, if you don’t catch it soon enough, it will take out stuff. No amount of bench bleeding or a new clutch assembly will help until you replace it.
If the hole has become oblong, the whole assembly will have to be replaced. If you are handy around a lathe, you may be able to machine an insert out of brass or something more substantial than plastic. If you are lucky and it isn’t oblong, make sure when you replace the insert, to apply a generous amount of grease.
Brent

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals