• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch problems??? Please help if you can...

Tofflemire

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1995 4.0 4X4 ford ranger with a manual transmission. A lot of times after driving for 5 minutes or so it becomes difficult sometimes to get it into gear when i come to a complete stop. The truck will go into gear if the truck is rolling but when I stop at a light I have to keep the clutch pedal pressed in because if I don't then it becomes difficult to get back into gear. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I WOULD CHECK TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL or have any other ideas? Not sure if its a related problem but I also notice when the gear problem is acting up it seems like the Emergency brake pedal starts acting weird and also sounds like something is loose in the front end when I apply the brakes. Please if anyone has input let me know what you think. Thanks guys...... P.S. I cannot afford to take my truck into a shop so if I can I will do the work myself

Last edited:

Kealel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like maybe a pilot bearing (mine was like that, that was the cause) or could also be a slave going bad.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds kinda clutchey did you check clutch reservoir and for leaks.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Does your clutch feel "spongey"? That would indicate air in the line and unfortunately most likely a bad slave.. Which requires removal of the tranny. To change the trans fluid on the driver side of the case there will be 2 24mm plugs. One up top and to the left of the other one (if looking at it from the side on the drivers side). You want to pull the plug on the bottom right, let it drain out. Then put her back in and pull the top plug and fill the tranny with 3 quarts of ATF. (Fill until tranny fluid starts coming out).

Does also sound like the pilot bearing is going bad. Also requires removal of the tranny, clutch, and flywheel. If you do this I reccomend you change the slave cylinder/throw out bearing, the pilot bearing, the rear main seal of the engine and the clutch and flywheel. It's a pita to get in there so might as well do it while you have it apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals